How Can the Weight of a Human Head be Measured?

In summary: Weight of only Torso...In summary, the weight of a human head can be approximated by measuring the displacement of water.
I_am_learning
Just in the middle of random discussion with my friend, we wondered how could the weight of a human head (the portion above neck) be measured?
Of-course without doing nasty things. (eg. chopping. :devil: )

Physics news on Phys.org
To what accuracy?

I'm afraid I can't help you. I always chop.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/notesandqueries/query/0,,-1244,00.html

That describes a few methods for approximating it although I'm not sure of the accuracy of some methods

According to the Department of Anatomy & Histology, University of Sydney, an adult human cadaver head cut off at vertebra C3, with no hair, weighs between 4.5 and 5 kg (between 9.9 and 10.23 pounds).

Or you could lie ona table and then rest your unsupported head on a set of scales just over the edge of the table

lisab said:
To what accuracy?
Resolution: < 0.1Kg
Permissible Error: < 0.1 Kg
But you can't assume that the head you are measuring is an ordinary type of head. It could have a ~1kg of bullets stuck on somewhere and the person might still be living. Point is, you neither know its tentative weight nor do you know its mass distribution.

Last edited:
I_am_learning said:
Resolution: < 0.1Kg
Permissible Error: < 0.1 Kg
But you can't assume that the head you are measuring is an ordinary type of head. It could have a ~1kg of bullets stuck on somewhere and the person might still be living. Point is, you neither know its tentative weight nor do you know its mass distribution.

it seems a 1kg of bullets is pretty nasty.

Note to Jimmy: buy life insurance and avoid chopping bullets.

I agree with Jimmy on this one; if I can't chop, I'm not interested.

Reminds me of my beloved cousin Alphonse C. Snyder. According to the police report, he shot himself in the back of the head 27 times with a rifle from close range. When I chopped his head off to weigh it, the axe hit several bullets. It was so dull I had to replace it. You can well imagine my grief at the loss.

Well, the mass can be easily measured by balancing torque once you locate the center of mass of the head.
The trouble is thus the center of mass.

Jimmy Snyder said:
It was so dull I had to replace it.
Well duh, you silly ***. Everyone knows that you use a titanium axe for gunshot victims. :rolleyes:

cng99 said:
Well, the mass can be easily measured by balancing torque once you locate the center of mass of the head.
The trouble is thus the center of mass.
Can you elaborate please?

I'm sure this has the correct answer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jkm6aYYdB8

They covered this on QI. Basically, the technique is to stick your head in a bucket of water and measure the volume displaced. The underlying assumption is that the average density of the head balances out pretty close to that of water, an assumption, they assured us, that is reasonably accurate.

Ken Natton said:
The underlying assumption is that the average density of the head balances out pretty close to that of water, an assumption, they assured us, that is reasonably accurate.

So you're pretty much guaranteed of success if your subject is hydrocephalus.

Hmm, so the OP should go soak his head? Not as good as chopping but it'll do.

I don't think that's accurate Ken. Thats just volume of head x density of water.

I think you can do it by weighing yourself in a pool once with your whole body in, and once with your head above water. Also measure the displacement to get the volumes of your body and head. There are enough knowns to solve your head weight out of water.

Okay, well, what they pointed out on QI is that the way to do it accurately is to use an MRI scanner. However, if you don't have access to such a thing, the head in the backet technique is a pretty good approximation. So they said anyway. Can't say I've ever tried it myself.

If you're not allowed to cut off the head and weigh it, there is an equally accurate and more socially acceptable method. Cut the body off instead, then just weigh what's left over. :uhh:

Hepth said:
I don't think that's accurate Ken. Thats just volume of head x density of water.

I think you can do it by weighing yourself in a pool once with your whole body in, and once with your head above water. Also measure the displacement to get the volumes of your body and head. There are enough knowns to solve your head weight out of water.

In the text below and in all subsequent replies, 'Torso' refers to Whole body minus head.

Ok. We have volume of Torso and volume of head.
Now, as you suggested to measure,
  1. Weight of whole_body inside water = Actual Body weight - weight of displaced water.
    We don't actually need to measure it, i.e. we won't get any extra information by measuring it , because weight of displaced water = volume of body * density of water
  2. Weight of only Torso inside water= Actual Body weight - weight of displaced water by Torso
    Similar case as above.
So, we don't have enough knowns, but instead to many redundant knowns.

Why don't you just soak your head?

1. How is the weight of a human head measured?

The weight of a human head can be measured using a scale. The person's head should be detached from the body and placed on the scale. The weight recorded on the scale will be the weight of the head.

2. What is the average weight of a human head?

The average weight of a human head is approximately 10-11 pounds (4.5-5 kg) for an adult. However, the weight can vary depending on factors such as age, gender, and body size.

3. Can the weight of a human head be affected by health conditions?

Yes, certain health conditions such as obesity, inflammation, or tumors can affect the weight of a human head. In these cases, the head may weigh more than the average weight due to the extra tissue or fluid present.

4. How does the weight of a human head compare to other body parts?

The weight of a human head is relatively small compared to the rest of the body. It accounts for approximately 7-8% of the total body weight. The torso and limbs make up the majority of the body weight.

5. Can the weight of a human head change over time?

Yes, the weight of a human head can change over time due to factors such as aging, weight gain or loss, and muscle development. However, these changes are usually minimal and may not be noticeable without using a scale.