Weight and force problems

• Thread starter Destiny153
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

so in my physics class, we are learning about the 3 laws of motion and all that jazz bla bla bla, i get all that stuff, just not the stuff where it comes to math. i suck at math! so we had homework, no duh, and well im stuck, can i please have some help! anyone??

hear is the problem:

An astronaut has a mass of 50 kg.

A.) how much does she weigh before lift off?
B.) when her space vehicle is 6400 Km. above the earth's suface, she will weigh one quarter of what she weighed on earth. what does she weigh at this point?

so there you are, ps i know this formula but i don't understand it. Fnet = ma

net force= mass times acceleration? righ?

Answers and Replies

so in my physics class, we are learning about the 3 laws of motion and all that jazz bla bla bla, i get all that stuff, just not the stuff where it comes to math. i suck at math! so we had homework, no duh, and well im stuck, can i please have some help! anyone??
First, this is not the homework section.Second ,the three laws of motions are not "bla bla bla"
hear is the problem:

An astronaut has a mass of 50 kg.

A.) how much does she weigh before lift off?
B.) when her space vehicle is 6400 Km. above the earth's suface, she will weigh one quarter of what she weighed on earth. what does she weigh at this point?

so there you are, ps i know this formula but i don't understand it. Fnet = ma

net force= mass times acceleration? righ?
For A. you just use your formula with the appropriate acceleration.For part B what you wrote is nonsense.