Solve Weight & Free Fall on a Far-Away Planet - Astronaut Problem

In summary, the conversation is about an astronaut on a distant planet who picks up a rock with a mass of 5.80 kg. The rock weighs 40.0 N on this planet, and the astronaut exerts an upward force of 43.3 N on the rock. The question is what is the rock's acceleration, and there is confusion about the direction of the forces and the required number of decimal places in the answer. Eventually, it is determined that the correct answer is 3.3 ms^-2.
youxcrushxme
Hey guys, I'm confused about this problem -

On a planet far, far away, an astronaut picks up a rock. The rock has a mass of 5.80 kg, and on this particular planet its weight is 40.0 N. If the astronaut exerts an upward force of 43.3 N on the rock, what is its acceleration?

I thought you just did a=1/m*Fnet. The mass is 5.8, and I thought Fnet would be 43.3n+40N but my answer is not coming out right. If anyone could help me out I'd really appreciate it!

Physics news on Phys.org
What about the direction of the forces? Fnet is a vector sum.

I wasn't sure about that, I thought maybe -40N because that's it's weight and then the +43.3N because it's being thrown upward but it keeps saying my answer is wrong.

You're right. It should be 3.3/5.8 ms^-2 (assuming the data is right). May be you didn't provide the answer to the required number of decimal places.

I got it, I think I may have forgotten to make the 40N negative or something...thanks so much!

1. How is weight calculated on a far-away planet?

The weight of an object on a far-away planet is calculated using the planet's surface gravity and the object's mass. The formula for weight is W = mg, where W is weight, m is mass, and g is the surface gravity. Since the surface gravity on different planets can vary, the weight of an object will also vary depending on the planet.

2. What is free fall on a far-away planet?

Free fall on a far-away planet is when an object is falling towards the planet's surface due to the force of gravity. Just like on Earth, the acceleration due to gravity on a far-away planet will cause objects to fall towards the surface at a constant rate. However, the acceleration due to gravity may be different on different planets, resulting in different rates of free fall.

3. How does weight affect an astronaut's movements on a far-away planet?

The weight of an astronaut on a far-away planet will affect their movements. If the planet's surface gravity is lower than Earth's, the astronaut will feel lighter and may be able to jump higher and move more easily. If the surface gravity is higher, the astronaut will feel heavier and may have difficulty moving and performing tasks.

4. How does the weight and free fall of an astronaut on a far-away planet impact their equipment and tools?

The weight and free fall of an astronaut on a far-away planet can impact their equipment and tools in several ways. If the planet's surface gravity is lower, the equipment and tools may feel lighter and may need to be adjusted to avoid being thrown off or floating away. If the surface gravity is higher, the equipment and tools may feel heavier and may require more effort to handle and use.

5. Can the weight and free fall of an astronaut on a far-away planet be simulated on Earth?

Yes, the weight and free fall of an astronaut on a far-away planet can be simulated on Earth using specialized equipment such as a centrifuge. This allows scientists to study and prepare for the effects of different levels of gravity on the human body and equipment before sending astronauts to far-away planets.