1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weight distribution

1. Apr 14, 2006 #1
    This is a lill awkward question but I need to know. A car has the mass 1400kg. What force will be distributed on each tire/tyre?

Code (Text):
     |       |----d1--|G|-d2-|      |
     |-------O---------------O---------
             T1             T2
    G is the mass center and d1 = 1386mm, d2 = 964mm. First of all, it (the paper) says T1 = 2820N and T2 = 4050N. But 4050+2820 = 6870 != mg = 13734. How could this be and how would I calculate T1 and T2? My logic (and I guess my best, of many, shots)told me that maybe d1/d2 = T2/T1. We also know that T1+T2=mg. So I used this and got T1 = 2418N and T2 = 11315N. Not quite correct.

/daniel

Last edited: Apr 14, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2006 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

it appears that if t1+t2 were doubled it would account for the extra force missing and for the other two wheels on the other side of the car.

4. Apr 15, 2006 #3
    A car has 4 wheels?:biggrin:

Cheers mate, cheers!:tongue:

5. Apr 16, 2006 #4
    Now to a little harder problem.

A 100kg weight is added on the red spot. Calculate the changes in the normal force reactions at the three wheels due to the weight of the box.

http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/7644/car7pu.png

In the last one I could use the equations d1/d2 = T2/T1 and T1+T2=mg. But for this one I only can use the last condition (A+B+C=mg). The only tactics I could come up with was to split the box up in (three?) pieces and move them (hopefully under each wheel) and add torques if necessary. But this seems so comprehensive, and I'm not even sure it will work.

Any help please?

6. Apr 18, 2006 #5
    Please? I'm not finding any other relationships.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?