1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weight distribution

1. Oct 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the illustration there is a hawser attached to the ceiling at points A and B. Attached to point C is a mass of 400kg.

Find the tension in the hawsers AC and BC.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have no idea how to go about this one. I can't find any materials in English about this that are understandable and in my own language things are vague to begin with :/
    What is tension? This much I have figured out in my head that it's a force and its unit is 1N or that would make sense.
    But how do I find the tension.

I know that the weight of the mass is 3920N and it should be distributed between those 2 holding hawsers in some proportion. Does it mean that the sum of the tensions in the hawsers will have to be mg?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2012 #2
    Hello,

I hope my attached photo helps.

Attached Files:

4. Oct 17, 2012 #3
    So what I understand is that point B is pulling the weight attached to point C by F1 and point A is pulling it by F2. Considering the mass is still then according to Newton the sums of these forces will have to be 0.
    so F1 + F2 + mg = 0 (sum of vectors)

If that's true I understand the idea, but how do I put it on paper with this assignment.

Can I use this?
    the sine law or theorem or how it s called in English:
    A/sina = B/sinb so in this assignment F2/sin30 = F1/sin50 and using the a/b = c/d => ad = cb rule I get that
    F1/F2 = sin50/sin30
    sin50/sin30 = 1.532 so F1 = 1.532F2

But something doesn't feel right, isn t F2 supposed to be > F1, I mean, it's closer to being in a vertical position compared to F1 so isn t it supposed to have more tension not less :s

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  5. Oct 17, 2012 #4
    hell,

i would use sum on x and sum on y.

In this example F1x=F2x; F1*cos30=F2*cos50....

Attached Files:

6. Oct 17, 2012 #5
    Oh okay, so F1 = F2*cos50/cos30 - so my assumption is correct, the closer the hawser gets to a vertical position, the bigger the tension gets?
    Thank you, mishek, I understand how you approached this, cheers.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook