Where should I place a weight on a trailer to achieve a specific tongue weight?

In summary: Thanks for the explanation and the formula. In summary, the person needs to know how far to move a 1600 lb weight on a trailer to achieve a tongue weight of 250 lbs. Using the formula "force * distance = force * distance," it was determined that the weight needs to be moved 15 inches to the left to achieve the desired tongue weight.
jschaaf5
Hi,

I am a non-physics type that needs an answer to a fairly simple physics problem (but too complex for me). I need to know where to place a weight on a trailer to arrive at a specific tongue weight (weight at the hitch).

I hope the diagram below is clear.

<------ 48" ------->
-------- W --------

H ------------------------------------- A --------------------- E
<---------------- 96" -----------------> <-------- 64" -------->

Notes:

Line H/A/E is the trailer.

W represents a 1600 lb weight that is 48" wide and is centered over the axle.

The trailer is perfectly balanced at this point (no weight at point H).

H represents the trailer hitch.

A represents the axle (fulcrum).

E represents the end of the trailer.

The distance from H to A is 96".

The distance from A to E is 64".

PROBLEM: How far would the weight (W) need to be moved to the left to arrive at a tongue weight (weight at point H) of 250 lbs?

I hope someone can figure this out. I am stumped.

Thanks in advance.

Jody

Physics news on Phys.org
The torque about the axels must be the same at all points on the trailer so the force * distance is the same at all points. x is the location of the center of your load.

[tex] 1600 x = 250 * 96 [/tex]

[tex] x = \frac {250lb * 96in} {1600lb} = 15in [/tex]

Thanks

That's a big help to me!

1. What is a fulcrum?

A fulcrum is the point around which a lever rotates or pivots. It is an important component in the weight/fulcrum problem, as it determines the mechanical advantage and balance of the lever.

2. What is the weight/fulcrum problem?

The weight/fulcrum problem is a basic physics problem that involves determining the weight or force needed to balance a lever when given the weight and distance from the fulcrum on each side of the lever. It is a common problem in the study of mechanics and is used to understand the principles of leverage and torque.

3. How is the mechanical advantage calculated in the weight/fulcrum problem?

The mechanical advantage in the weight/fulcrum problem is calculated by dividing the distance from the fulcrum to the weight on one side of the lever by the distance from the fulcrum to the weight on the other side. This ratio can be used to determine the amount of force needed to balance the lever.

4. What is the difference between first-class, second-class, and third-class levers?

First-class, second-class, and third-class levers are different configurations of the weight/fulcrum problem. In a first-class lever, the fulcrum is located between the weight and the applied force, while in a second-class lever, the weight is between the fulcrum and the applied force. In a third-class lever, the applied force is between the weight and the fulcrum. Each configuration results in a different mechanical advantage and balance for the lever.

5. How is the weight/fulcrum problem used in real-world applications?

The weight/fulcrum problem is used in various real-world applications, such as in construction, engineering, and manufacturing. It is important in designing and building structures, machines, and tools that are efficient and balanced. It is also used in everyday tasks, such as using a seesaw or a pair of scissors.