How does weight change in an accelerating elevator?

In summary, the conversation discusses how weight changes during acceleration and constant speed in an elevator. The individual asks for help in understanding how their weight would change and how to calculate their mass with only knowing their weight. The conversation concludes with a reminder to consider gravity and the direction of the elevator's acceleration. The experts explain that weight is a result of acceleration due to gravity and provide the formula for calculating mass.
yeshli2nuts
I had to do this problem for school but I couldn't figure out how to do it so I need some help. Let's say I weigh 165 pounds and I am standing on a scale in an elevator that accelerates to 1 meter per second and then stays at the constant speed of 1 mps. How would my weight change during the acceleration and then balance out when the elevator stops accelerating? Any help would be great. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Which way is the elevator accelerating?

Draw a force diagram... and remember that [tex]F_{net} = ma[/tex]

Pengwuino said:
Which way is the elevator accelerating?
can I get both?

Jameson said:
Draw a force diagram... and remember that [tex]F_{net} = ma[/tex]
How do i get the mass with only knowing 165 pounds? (sorry, I'm pretty bad at physics...which is why I'm here)

Gravity has a constant acceleration. When you are "165 pounds", what is actually being measured in the force you are exerting on the ground which is 165pounds/s^2 = mass * acceleration. Acceleration on Earth is a constant 9.8m/second. So you divide 165 by 9.8 to get your mass. Then multiply it by 10.8 if hte elevator is accelerating upwards or 8.8 if the elevator is accelerating downward to get your approprate weight during those accelerations (+1 and -1). At constant speed, acceleration due to the elevator is 0 so your still 165 pounds because the overall acceleration is still 9.8m/s.

Ask yourself which way does gravity accelerates? In what direction does the elevator accelerates...? Simple arithmetics.

Last edited:
thanks a lot guys, that's exactly what i needed.

What is weight in an elevator?

Weight in an elevator refers to the force exerted on an object by gravity while it is inside an elevator. This force determines the object's apparent weight.

What affects weight in an elevator?

Weight in an elevator is affected by the acceleration of the elevator, the mass of the object, and the force of gravity.

Does weight change in an elevator?

Yes, weight can change in an elevator due to the acceleration of the elevator. When the elevator is accelerating upwards or downwards, the weight of an object will be greater or less than its actual weight due to the additional force of acceleration.

Why does weight feel different in an elevator?

Weight feels different in an elevator due to the additional force of acceleration. When the elevator is accelerating upwards, the weight of an object will feel heavier, and when the elevator is accelerating downwards, the weight will feel lighter.

How is weight in an elevator calculated?

The weight in an elevator is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the acceleration of the elevator. This is known as Newton's second law of motion, which states that force is equal to mass times acceleration.