Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weight in resp. to food

1. Jul 13, 2005 #1
    Over these past few weeks, I've be wanting to watch my diet carefully, so I scale myself every day. I noticed that before dinner, I was 140, but after dinner, I was 143.5. Why is that? I am sure I didn't instake 3 pounds of food...

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2005 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Two things come to mind. First, how much water are you drinking with your meal? Maybe you're not eating much food, but are consuming a lot of water? Second, how accurate is your scale? I know my bathroom scale isn't that good, and I can step off it and step right back on and it will be 2 lbs different. It's close enough for my needs, but won't be useful if you're trying to track every pound. If you have a slightly uneven floor, that will also affect the accuracy of your scale. So, it may have nothing to do with your actual weight or what you consume, but just that the scale has some variation in accuracy.

4. Jul 14, 2005 #3

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Ah, am I crazy or have you -Moonbear- made almost the same exact post before?

Oh, and 3 pounds of food doesn't sound like an unreasonable amount, though maybe in one sitting? Okay, I can't vouch for the sources, but they were quick:
    I'll check the USDA in a minute. And for more detail.
    I can't find pounds per person per day data all compiled in one list, but you can find the data at http://www.ers.usda.gov/data/FoodConsumption/FoodAvailSpreadsheets.htm
    and do the calculations yourself, if anyone really cares that much. :smile:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2005
  5. Jul 14, 2005 #4
    I'm pretty sure my scale is right, I go on it everytime and I get the same reading.

6. Jul 14, 2005 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can't it be both? :tongue: :rofl: I might've if a similar question was asked before.

Well, since he said he was watching his diet, I was assuming that meant he was paying attention to how much he was eating during that meal. 3 lbs of food would be pretty hefty for a single meal (not that I haven't seen people pack that much down), but if you count in drinking a lot of water, it doesn't seem so unreasonable.

Of course, I'm also making the assumption that before and after dinner means you weigh yourself twice in the same day, just before dinner and just after dinner, not some days before dinner and some days after dinner or first thing in the morning vs after dinner.

7. Jul 14, 2005 #6

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?