Why does my weight change after eating?

• Thread starter ConcealedDreamer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Food Weight
In summary, the person is thinking that because their scale varied in accuracy, it could be because they were eating different amounts of food at different times of the day.
ConcealedDreamer
Over these past few weeks, I've be wanting to watch my diet carefully, so I scale myself every day. I noticed that before dinner, I was 140, but after dinner, I was 143.5. Why is that? I am sure I didn't instake 3 pounds of food...

Biology news on Phys.org
Two things come to mind. First, how much water are you drinking with your meal? Maybe you're not eating much food, but are consuming a lot of water? Second, how accurate is your scale? I know my bathroom scale isn't that good, and I can step off it and step right back on and it will be 2 lbs different. It's close enough for my needs, but won't be useful if you're trying to track every pound. If you have a slightly uneven floor, that will also affect the accuracy of your scale. So, it may have nothing to do with your actual weight or what you consume, but just that the scale has some variation in accuracy.

Ah, am I crazy or have you -Moonbear- made almost the same exact post before?

Oh, and 3 pounds of food doesn't sound like an unreasonable amount, though maybe in one sitting? Okay, I can't vouch for the sources, but they were quick:
The average American consumes 2-3 pounds of food per day.
- http://www.drlam.com/faq/Diet.cfm

According to the USDA itself, in 1994 the average American ate the following:

* 586 pounds of milk and dairy products
* 394 pounds of vegetables
* 199 pounds of meat, and
* 193 pounds of products containing flour and cereal
* 121 pounds of fresh fruit.

That totals over four pounds of food per day per person -- and nearly forty percent of that is milk and dairy -- which makes one very lopsided food pyramid!
- http://www.vegsource.com/articles/milk_pyramid.htm
I'll check the USDA in a minute. And for more detail.
I can't find pounds per person per day data all compiled in one list, but you can find the data at http://www.ers.usda.gov/data/FoodConsumption/FoodAvailSpreadsheets.htm
and do the calculations yourself, if anyone really cares that much. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure my scale is right, I go on it everytime and I get the same reading.

honestrosewater said:
Ah, am I crazy or have you -Moonbear- made almost the same exact post before?
Can't it be both? :tongue: :rofl: I might've if a similar question was asked before.

Oh, and 3 pounds of food doesn't sound like an unreasonable amount, though maybe in one sitting?
Well, since he said he was watching his diet, I was assuming that meant he was paying attention to how much he was eating during that meal. 3 lbs of food would be pretty hefty for a single meal (not that I haven't seen people pack that much down), but if you count in drinking a lot of water, it doesn't seem so unreasonable.

Of course, I'm also making the assumption that before and after dinner means you weigh yourself twice in the same day, just before dinner and just after dinner, not some days before dinner and some days after dinner or first thing in the morning vs after dinner.

What is the relationship between weight and food?

Weight and food have a complex relationship, as weight is influenced by many factors such as genetics, physical activity, and overall health. However, food does play a significant role in determining weight. Consuming more calories than the body needs can lead to weight gain, while consuming fewer calories can lead to weight loss.

What is the impact of different types of food on weight?

The impact of different types of food on weight varies depending on the individual's metabolism and overall diet. Generally, foods high in calories, sugar, and unhealthy fats can contribute to weight gain. On the other hand, foods high in protein, fiber, and healthy fats can help with weight management and even weight loss when consumed in moderation.

Can certain foods or diets help with weight loss?

While there is no one specific food or diet that guarantees weight loss, some foods and diets may be more effective for weight loss than others. For example, a balanced diet that includes plenty of fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and whole grains can promote weight loss when combined with regular exercise. Additionally, avoiding processed and high-calorie foods can also aid in weight loss.

How does portion control affect weight?

Portion control plays a crucial role in weight management. Eating too much of any type of food, even healthy options, can lead to weight gain. On the other hand, practicing portion control and being mindful of serving sizes can help prevent overeating and contribute to weight loss.

Does the timing of meals impact weight?

The timing of meals can impact weight, but it ultimately depends on an individual's lifestyle and eating habits. Some studies suggest that eating breakfast can help with weight loss, while others suggest that intermittent fasting can also be effective. It's essential to find a meal timing routine that works best for your body and lifestyle to maintain a healthy weight.