Calculating Density from Weight: 341N Object Immersed in Water

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the density of an object that is immersed in water and connected to a force scale. Through using the buoyancy force equation and knowing the density of water, the volume and mass of the object can be calculated, leading to the final calculation of the object's density.
iamtrojan3

Homework Statement

An object weighing 341 N in air is immersed in water after being tied to a string connected to a force scale. The scale now reads 307 N. Calculate the density of the object.

Homework Equations

Fb=(density of the surrounding liquid)(V)(g)

The Attempt at a Solution

Fb is difference in the forces, 341N-307N = 34N
v = ((initial weight)-(submerged weight))/9.8 = 3.47
mass = 341N/9.8

So Density = m / v

Density therefore = 10.3kg/m^3

Its wrong, i have no idea why, probably some unit conversion somewhere.

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The 34N that you found is the buoyant force, i.e. the weight of the displaced water. Can you find the mass of the displaced water and then the volume of the displaced water? This volume is the object's volume.

The bouyancy force is B = (Density of liquid)(Volume of the object) * g.

V is not the difference in mass (which is what I think you were trying to do), it's the volume of the object.

So you know B and g, and the density of water is fairly constant so you can solve for the volume.

Density as you said is mass divided by volume, and you correctly found the mass, so you just need to find the volume.

Feldoh said:
The bouyancy force is B = (Density of liquid)(Volume of the object) * g.

V is not the difference in mass (which is what I think you were trying to do), it's the volume of the object.

So you know B and g, and the density of water is fairly constant so you can solve for the volume.

Density as you said is mass divided by volume, and you correctly found the mass, so you just need to find the volume.

Isn't that what i did? B = Density * V * g and like you said water is fairly constant, so V = B/g
which is 34N/9.8 = 3.47 which is the volume of the object, right?
So now i can do D = m/v for the density of the object given m of object is 341/9.8.

And i just confused myself, we're ignoring the density of water cause its "fairly constant" right?

You need to include the density of the water in your volume calculation.

Ok, now ill sound just plain stupid.
How do i find the density of water?

You can look it up. Its normally 1000kg per cubic metre.

Ahh i see what i did thank you all for the help

1. How do you calculate density from weight?

Density is calculated by dividing the weight of an object by its volume. The formula for density is D = m/V, where D is density, m is mass, and V is volume.

2. How do you measure the weight of an object?

The weight of an object can be measured using a scale or balance. The object is placed on the scale and the weight is typically displayed in units of grams or kilograms.

3. How do you measure the volume of an object?

The volume of an object can be measured in various ways, depending on the shape of the object. For irregularly shaped objects, the volume can be measured by submerging the object in water and measuring the amount of water it displaces. For regular shaped objects, such as a cube or cylinder, the volume can be calculated using mathematical formulas.

4. What is the unit of measurement for density?

The unit of measurement for density is typically grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3) or kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m3). However, other units such as pounds per cubic inch (lb/in3) may also be used.

5. How does an object's density affect its buoyancy?

An object's density determines whether it will float or sink in a fluid. Objects with a higher density than the fluid will sink, while objects with a lower density will float. This is due to the principle of buoyancy, which states that the upward force on an object in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object.