1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weight increase on a lever as distance from body increases

1. Jun 1, 2012 #1

srt

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

very 'uninformed' person here please bear with me. this relates to a piece of work equipment that i use but am not comfortable doing so.
    a 6" aluminum rod that weighs 6# is extended from its vertical away from the body to reach a 'target' from 4' to 6' away. the rod will at theses distances be held (with one hand as the fulcrum) at a distance of about 2' from the end closest to the body.

2. Relevant equations
    the force exerted in a downward direction will increase but by how much? in otherwords; if the rod weighs 6# at rest vertically how much force is applied (in #'s) at its extreme end when extended from the body a distance of 4 ' & 6' at a 45 degree angle.

3. The attempt at a solution
    my only attemt to solve when using this at work is to notice the extra strain in my lower back and shoulders and to stop using it. i need a safer way. i would prefer a direct response to my e-mail due to work hours :srthomsen1@verizon.net. thanks

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted