Weight increase on a lever as distance from body increases

In summary, the person is seeking help with a piece of work equipment, specifically a 6" aluminum rod that weighs 6#. They are unsure how much force is exerted when the rod is extended at distances of 4' and 6' at a 45 degree angle. They have noticed strain in their lower back and shoulders while using it and are looking for a safer solution. They have provided their email for a direct response due to work hours. However, this question cannot be solved without equations and the person should seek help from another source.
srt

Homework Statement

very 'uninformed' person here please bear with me. this relates to a piece of work equipment that i use but am not comfortable doing so.
a 6" aluminum rod that weighs 6# is extended from its vertical away from the body to reach a 'target' from 4' to 6' away. the rod will at theses distances be held (with one hand as the fulcrum) at a distance of about 2' from the end closest to the body.

Homework Equations

the force exerted in a downward direction will increase but by how much? in otherwords; if the rod weighs 6# at rest vertically how much force is applied (in #'s) at its extreme end when extended from the body a distance of 4 ' & 6' at a 45 degree angle.

The Attempt at a Solution

my only attemt to solve when using this at work is to notice the extra strain in my lower back and shoulders and to stop using it. i need a safer way. i would prefer a direct response to my e-mail due to work hours :srthomsen1@verizon.net. thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
in advance. This question is not suitable for this forum as it requires a calculation and cannot be solved without equations. You should seek help from another source, such as your professor or a physics tutor.

1. How does the distance from the body affect weight increase on a lever?

The weight increase on a lever is directly proportional to the distance from the body. This means that as the distance from the body increases, the weight that needs to be applied on the lever to balance it also increases.

2. Why does weight increase on a lever as distance from body increases?

This is due to the principle of leverage, which states that the farther an object is from the point of support, the more force is required to move it. As the distance from the body increases, the lever becomes longer, resulting in a greater amount of force needed to balance the weight.

3. Can weight increase on a lever even if the distance from the body remains the same?

Yes, weight can still increase on a lever even if the distance from the body remains the same. This can happen if the weight being applied on the lever is increased, or if the weight is shifted farther away from the point of support.

4. Is there a limit to how much weight can be increased on a lever as distance from body increases?

Yes, there is a limit to how much weight can be increased on a lever as distance from body increases. This limit is determined by the length of the lever and the strength of the person applying the force. If the weight becomes too heavy or the distance too far, the lever may break or the person may not have enough strength to balance it.

5. How does the weight distribution on a lever affect weight increase as distance from body increases?

The weight distribution on a lever can have a significant impact on weight increase as distance from body increases. If the weight is evenly distributed along the length of the lever, the distance from the body will have a direct effect on the weight increase. However, if the weight is unevenly distributed, the weight increase may be impacted by the location of the heavier objects on the lever.