Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weight Lifters?

1. Dec 31, 2011 #1
    Hi,
    I believe this is my first thread where I have abstained from posing any questions related to physics or anything dealing with it however , physics shows up it's presence throughout the cosmos.2011 is at the end of it's trail so without further ado, happy new year to all of PF users( a bit early, lol).

Coming back to the main point.. how many of PF users are into weight lifting/ cardio i.e personal fitness related activities. I am particularly interested with the former.If you're then for how long have you been doing.

Sex: Male
    Height 5'8
    Period lifted for: So far it has been six months.

I don't expect many replies but I maybe grossly mistaken.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2011 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've done some lifting all my life...well since I was a teen. So that means ~30 years :eek:. Mostly light weights, high reps.

My brother lifted as a teen, and could not get beyond a certain level no matter what. But when he was in his late 20s he found he could get amazing results for half the effort he put in as a teen. I've heard this from a lot of males.

4. Dec 31, 2011 #3
    I've lifted on and off for a few years. Was really serious about it for a year, and just started back up again and got injured. When I was really serious about it I noticed a huge difference and absolutely loved it, then fell off the band wagon.

Sex: Male
    Height 6'2''

5. Dec 31, 2011 #4
    I lift too, on and off. Taking it more seriously as I go.

That's strange, the best time to grow with weight lifting is ages 16-25. After that your body doesn't produce as much testosterone as it did before. My guess is you are talking about gaining weight, if he was an ectomorph then his metabolism slowed down and he probably had a heck of an easier time gaining weight in his late 20s.

6. Jan 1, 2012 #5
    I started lifting in the summer. Starting to see results now. I love it.

7. Jan 1, 2012 #6
    Well, for about six years I used to carry 80 lb. packages of shingles up 30 foot ladders all day. Sometimes one on each shoulder. Plus carrying around cement blocks and making mortar, etc. I'm 64 and it's been a looooong time since I did that stuff, but it undoubtedly strengthened me. I remember laying down, at a young age, when I was doing that other physical stuff for work, and lifting stuff over my head ... as an exercise. It almost doubled the size of my chest.

So anyway, yeah, continue with your weight lifting and cardio stuff. It's good for you. And if you do enough of it intensively, then I think it will sort of stick with you for your whole life.

What I do now is play a lot of tennis, and once or twice a week I go over to a friend's house who is a fitness nut (also 64) who has a great setup with weights and chin bar, etc. We do a lot of stuff with the kettle dumbells. I work it until I get really sweaty and winded and I think it helps.

If you're into it, then keep doing it. I have no doubt that it will make you stronger. But don't overdo it. Get lots of sleep. Eat lots of good stuff. Drink lots of water. And make time for meditation ... like a quiet time that you can relax and reflect calmly. All of these habits will make you stronger and better able to achieve your goals, imho.

8. Jan 2, 2012 #7
    I do weightlifting at a gym and cardio (treadmill, elliptical, bike) as well as hiking.

I started about 1.5 years ago as a rehab program after a surgery. Now I do it for my pleasure and staying healthy. I started out slowly and carefully. I still don't lift very heavy but I'm improving consistently judging by the amount I lifted then and now.

Subjectively speaking, I love it! I believe it has really improved the quality of my life. I sleep better, keep more focused at school, I have good endurance (I can go on about 40km of hiking and feel nothing the other day) and I feel much stronger to carry around stuff and do everyday lifting of bags, luggage, the bicycle and girls ( :P jking on the latter)

I'd never train for sports, I find them boring. I'd never train for "looking good" (i.e bodybuilding) I'm only interested in cardiovascular health, functional strength, endurance, flexibility and overall health.

Some interesting documents I read about training are these:

http://www.fitness.gov/digest_mar2000.htm [Broken]

http://www.nsca-lift.org/HotTopic/download/Strength%20Training%20for%20Muscle%20Building.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  9. Jan 2, 2012 #8
    Height: 6'0"
    Weight: ~173lbs.
    Diet: Vegetarian
    Supplement: Creatine monohydrate 5g/day, 1 Gold Standard protein shake ~36g/day extra.

I have been weightlifting for a few months after taking another handful off. I do MWF, full body workouts every day (a lot of people do isolation or bodybuilding schedules where they work one muscle group once a week on different days, but that's not great for strength or mass training). Since I do the same muscles 3 days a week, I do high weight, low reps, 1-2 sets. Just a warmup set or two, 4-6 reps, then my peak set with 6-8 or 8-10 as a goal depending on exercise. Bench, deadlifts, overhead barbell press, squats, weighted pullups & dips, rows with barbell, standing jumps: all of these every day. Big gains compared to 1 day a week bodybuilder stuff.

I also do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu WThF, (used to be MWThFS before new job ruined that). Nothing better for cardio than wrestling/mma training. To be sure: I ran cross country and swimming in college, and I feel like I'm a better runner and swimmer now from doing Jiu Jitsu than when I trained for either specifically. Have done BJJ since February of '11.

Haven't been sick/had a cold for a year since I started this. Love it.

10. Jan 2, 2012 #9
    I have heard that weightlifting should be done only after 18. If you do early, your height won't grow to maximum.
    Kill this myth.

11. Jan 2, 2012 #10

turbo

Gold Member

I did heavy weight training during my time working on a paper machine. I don't even remember what I could bench at the time, but it was significantly more than a crew-mate that I trained with and who out-weighed me by 40# or so. We'd get out of work after a night-shift (maybe 6am) and have the gym pretty much to ourselves. We stayed pretty much to free-weights, since that kind of work-out involves a lot of minor muscles that machines don't hit very well. About the only machine that we used was a pin-selectable plate-loaded bench press machine. That way, if you lifted to exhaustion, you wouldn't run the risk of getting your chest crushed by a bar.

12. Jan 2, 2012 #11

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not so sure it's a myth. All of the *really* big lifters I've seen are ~30 years old. They're never 18.

13. Jan 2, 2012 #12

turbo

Gold Member

And the body-builders with the most impressive gains in muscle-mass are quite often over 40. Older does not equal "in the barn". A younger guy in my home town kept bugging me to come over to his house and train him. He was nice enough, but I didn't want the commitment.

14. Jan 2, 2012 #13
    Well its a big part of my life.

I really don't understand these people who claim they only do it for health. You can achieve excellent health by staying home: eating right and doing household chores. If you want more activity run a lap around your place. The gym and all the subsequent time and financial burden it entails is totally absurd.

What is more mind boggling is seeing these overweight people doing abdominal exercises. You can do millions of them but it won't help a bit to lose that gut. First, gotta put down the fork and get off the donuts. Seriously, some of these people will do better by doing some chores around the house and eating less.

One of the gyms I go to even has elevator stairs: people ride it to reach the cardio machines and start walking on there.

Truly amazing

15. Jan 3, 2012 #14
    Gym memberships are rediculous. Try to find a community center instead, if that's a worry.

Exercising the body part you want to lose fat from is a nice myth too. Fat is lost from certain areas of the body specifically, regardless of what you do.

16. Jan 3, 2012 #15
    As for losing weight from a particular part of the body, eg., the midsection, it seems that focused exercise (eg., situps, crunches, etc.) doesn't really do that. Apparently, each of us has an area (or areas) where we tend to put on weight, and the only way to take that weight off is to take in fewer calories than one is burning. Then, supposedly, the fat that has accumulated, say, in the midsection, will diminish.

But I think this requires that one stay very active while one is consuming fewer calories. Otherwise, it seems that the body consumes muscle tissue before it consumes fatty tissue. So, if you had a big gut, and went on a diet to lose that gut, and stuck to the diet but remained relatively sedentary, then would you end up being skinnier and less muscled but still with a relatively big gut?

I'm curious because I have a bit of a gut that I wouldn't mind losing. But my health nut friend says that situps and crunches won't make my gut smaller. So, what do I do?

17. Jan 3, 2012 #16
    Yes, from personal experience I think that's true. I don't actually lift weights often (maybe once a week on average), but when I do I see, well 'feel' anyway, the difference. It's envigorating, but I wouldn't want to get into it too much. No gyms or anything like that. I play tennis for about an hour a day or more, seven days a week, and that, along with bicycling, walking, and jogging (and, I forgot, working in the back yard) a lot, seems to keep everything pretty toned. As a rule of thumb, I just do whatever it is I'm doing to the point where I get sweaty and just a little bit winded ... and then I stop. And, I must say that I generally feel really good almost all of the time.

18. Jan 3, 2012 #17
    You seem to have the right of it, mostly. I wouldn't worry about your body consuming muscle tissue too much. Catabolism shouldn't happen to any great degree unless you severely restrict calories--while the goal should be a normal caloric intake for your target weight.

In general, to lose fat, strength training is actually quite useful. The more muscle you have, the more calories you need to burn even while being slightly sedentary. In that regard, forget crunches or any isolation workout--better off overall doing full body exercises such as squats, deadlifts, clean and press, bench which use muscles all over your body.

For fat loss in general, the amount of time you exercise is more important than the intensity, from what I've heard.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  19. Jan 3, 2012 #18
    I am only 15 and my parents forbid me to join a gym as they say I won't grow to maximum then. I keep telling them that in gym, there isn't weight lifting but hell lot of stuff.

20. Jan 3, 2012 #19
    Thanks. This all makes sense to me.

21. Jan 3, 2012 #20
    To expound on this: in general you lose and gain fat from your legs and arms first (upper arms and thighs really) when dieting or whatever. This can make it seem like you're losing muscle because you really notice your biceps and triceps first when you're looking at yourself in a mirror (in my experience). Next muscle will come from your torso, then butt, then love handles. For men, losing love handles is the hardest thing. For women its a bit different and their butt, hips seem to be the last to go.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook