Is pushing yourself to the point of injury really worth it in weightlifting?

In summary, the conversation is about the topic of training and making progress in powerlifting. The main disagreement is about how often to add weight and whether or not it is necessary to train to failure and risk injury. One person believes in progressive overload and deloading, while the other argues that training to failure every session is not effective and can lead to injury. The conversation also touches on the idea of comparing penis sizes and the credibility of online sources.
Moonbear said:
No. I'm an anatomy professor. I teach the exercise physiologists, occupational therapists, physical therapists, med student and nursing students who will patch back together the weight lifters who think they can do it on their own without any advice or help. Even knowing what I know, I still know I need a pair of eyes on me when weight lifting to ensure my form is correct when doing something new...and even to spot check on something old just in case.

ah, well, good luck with your knees. do you actually have connective tissue damage, or is it just pain?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hootenanny said:
True, at lower repetitions one may not feel the burn, but I have to disagree that when lifting heavy you should not fatigue your muscles. The whole idea of weight-training is to fatigue your muscles - if you don't break down the muscle fibres, they will never hypertrophy. There are only a few exercise where it is dangerous to go to complete failure, back-squats being one of them. Fatiguing your muscles doesn't mean that you have to loose your form, it is perfectly possible to go to complete failure whilst keeping strict form and in the case of dead-lift there is no reason why you can't go to complete failure, provided that you do keep strict form. Once you've reached failure, all you need do is drop the bar.

What do you mean by "fatigue"? Do you mean going so hard that you can't do another rep? Then you'll be happy to know you're a unique individual because not many people do that very often. If you do that every workout, you won't improve much. Over training is just as bad as not training enough.

Proton Soup said:
ah, well, good luck with your knees. do you actually have connective tissue damage, or is it just pain?

No pain yet. Just a tell-tale clicking around the patellar tendon when I climb stairs. If I stand with my toes pointing forward, it's quickly obvious that my femur and patella are medially rotated, while my tibia is not. It's not giving me trouble now other than the clicking (and I can feel the grinding if I put my hand over it while extending my leg too), but since it runs in the family, I know there is knee surgery in my future. I'm just doing the best I can to be cautious now so I can prolong the inevitable as long as possible.

Moonbear said:
No pain yet. Just a tell-tale clicking around the patellar tendon when I climb stairs. If I stand with my toes pointing forward, it's quickly obvious that my femur and patella are medially rotated, while my tibia is not. It's not giving me trouble now other than the clicking (and I can feel the grinding if I put my hand over it while extending my leg too), but since it runs in the family, I know there is knee surgery in my future. I'm just doing the best I can to be cautious now so I can prolong the inevitable as long as possible.

ok, that derailed my thought process. :smile:

So, who has the biggest penis?

JasonRox said:

Not like it matters. You couldn't afford me on your salary anyway.

LMAO @ thread.

JasonRox said:

Well, I hope it's not me, unless I get to claim someone else's for keeps. :biggrin:

JasonRox said:
Me, I always respond to those emails about it.

<< So, who has the biggest penis? >>

Pamela Anderson. Period.

What wrong with training to failure? I do it most of the time. I've gained a lot of ground doing it that way.

From barely able to bench 90 pounds to being able to do 2 plates (225ibs). For a geek...that's decent (I want 315 though). (well semi geek I was into sports too), I was skinny as hell. If I don't push to failure I am not gaining...like anything...at least 3 of the work outs a week I am pushing myself. I had a slight sprain in my bicep, once maybe but...that's pretty much it. I went a whole year wasted on doing above-par effort and I didn't increase at all. within 2 months my last set that I could barely get, became my first set.

Technique is the most important aspect.

I was doing dumbell presses with 40's 5 reps, now I can do 80's 5 reps.

Anyone who doesn't do weightlifting here...do it. It's amazing, absolutely amazing feeling. Whatever your level is.

The downside to training to failure is you need a buddy to go with...or you have to use universial machines, which suck on average.

technique often goes to hell on max lifts, tho. which is bad for something like bench press since the shoulder joint is one of the least stable joints in the body. it depends a great deal on having strong and healthy rotators to hold it in place. longer term, you'll do better to focus on moderate rep schemes designed to add muscle mass and not try to max out a weight. staying uninjured is the name of the game, and it becomes much more important as you approach middle age. but with some attention to diet, training (every 3-5 days), and consistency, you might could reach your goal in another 3-5 years.

also, consider training in a cage with the safeties set.

Cage?

never even heard of the term weight-lifting wise, what is it?

The only cage I know is within MMA, which I would like to do because I am interesting in martial arts as much as I am in physics!

Virtuous said:
Cage?

never even heard of the term weight-lifting wise, what is it?

The only cage I know is within MMA, which I would like to do because I am interesting in martial arts as much as I am in physics!

cage, power rack, something like this: http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/powerracks.html
an absolute necessity if you lift alone.

usually, people use a cage or rack for http://www.anaerobicendurance.com/uploads/crossfitendurance/image/CF%20toronto%20back%20squat_6491-550x365.jpg" [Broken], and it's kind of hard to find a pic where they're using it for bench.

this one, the safeties look a bit flimsy: http://a232.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/30/l_64b66678f21c13ab44e6f24882b8b077.jpg
but it's better than nothing, because if he drops that, there's no way his buddies can have the reflexes to catch it.

Last edited by a moderator:
<h2>1. Is it necessary to push yourself to the point of injury in weightlifting?</h2><p>No, it is not necessary to push yourself to the point of injury in weightlifting. In fact, it can be counterproductive and lead to long-term damage to your body.</p><h2>2. What are the risks of pushing yourself too hard in weightlifting?</h2><p>The risks of pushing yourself too hard in weightlifting include muscle strains, joint injuries, and even fractures. It can also lead to chronic pain and limit your ability to continue weightlifting in the future.</p><h2>3. Can you still make progress in weightlifting without pushing yourself to the point of injury?</h2><p>Yes, you can still make progress in weightlifting without pushing yourself to the point of injury. In fact, it is important to listen to your body and avoid overexerting yourself. Consistency and proper form are key to making progress in weightlifting.</p><h2>4. How can I prevent pushing myself to the point of injury in weightlifting?</h2><p>To prevent pushing yourself to the point of injury in weightlifting, it is important to have a well-rounded workout plan that includes proper warm-up and cool-down routines, proper form, and rest days. It is also important to listen to your body and not push through pain or discomfort.</p><h2>5. What should I do if I do experience an injury while weightlifting?</h2><p>If you experience an injury while weightlifting, it is important to stop and assess the severity of the injury. If it is minor, you may be able to continue with modified exercises. However, if it is a more serious injury, it is important to seek medical attention and give your body time to heal before returning to weightlifting.</p>

1. Is it necessary to push yourself to the point of injury in weightlifting?

No, it is not necessary to push yourself to the point of injury in weightlifting. In fact, it can be counterproductive and lead to long-term damage to your body.

2. What are the risks of pushing yourself too hard in weightlifting?

The risks of pushing yourself too hard in weightlifting include muscle strains, joint injuries, and even fractures. It can also lead to chronic pain and limit your ability to continue weightlifting in the future.

3. Can you still make progress in weightlifting without pushing yourself to the point of injury?

Yes, you can still make progress in weightlifting without pushing yourself to the point of injury. In fact, it is important to listen to your body and avoid overexerting yourself. Consistency and proper form are key to making progress in weightlifting.

4. How can I prevent pushing myself to the point of injury in weightlifting?

To prevent pushing yourself to the point of injury in weightlifting, it is important to have a well-rounded workout plan that includes proper warm-up and cool-down routines, proper form, and rest days. It is also important to listen to your body and not push through pain or discomfort.

5. What should I do if I do experience an injury while weightlifting?

If you experience an injury while weightlifting, it is important to stop and assess the severity of the injury. If it is minor, you may be able to continue with modified exercises. However, if it is a more serious injury, it is important to seek medical attention and give your body time to heal before returning to weightlifting.