Weight loss and time period.

In summary, the speaker weighs 200 pounds on Earth and plans to go into an isolated system, such as an artificial satellite, for six months. They believe that by eating healthy, drinking water, and regularly exercising, they will lose weight and therefore mass. They ask if there will be any change in the time period of the satellite and where the lost mass from exercising will go. The other speaker explains that the overall mass of the satellite will not change as long as the speaker stays on and that even if waste is thrown out, it will not affect the satellite's orbital period, which is controlled by the mass of the planet it is orbiting.
aalmighty
I weigh 200 pounds today on earth, now I go Into an Isolated System (Say, an artificial Satellite) for six months, I eat healthy foods, drink a lot of water and regularly exercize (due to lack of anything else to do :D), so I'll lose weight, and hence mass.

1) Will there be any change in the time period of the satellite?

2) If not, which means the satellite has the same mass as when it was launched, where is the mass that I lost by exercizing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if your waste isn't thrown out of the space station, but kept on, the overall mass of the station will never change as long as you stay on...

Over 100 days your body will have radiated away the equivalent of roughly 10 mcg of mass. :)

moose said:
Well, if your waste isn't thrown out of the space station, but kept on, the overall mass of the station will never change as long as you stay on...

and even if you did toss the waste (or the lost body weight), the mass of the satellite has (virtually) nothing to do with the orbital period. it's the mass of the planet the satellite is going around (as well as the radius of orbit, assuming a circular orbit) that controls the period.

1. How much weight can I realistically lose in a specific time period?

Weight loss is highly individual and can vary greatly depending on factors such as body composition, metabolism, and lifestyle. A safe and sustainable rate of weight loss is 1-2 pounds per week, so for a 4 week time period, a realistic goal would be to lose 4-8 pounds.

2. Is it possible to lose weight quickly in a short time period?

While it is possible to lose a significant amount of weight in a short time period, this is not recommended as it can be harmful to your health and often results in the weight being regained quickly. Crash diets and extreme weight loss methods are not sustainable and can have negative effects on your body.

3. How long does it take to see results from weight loss efforts?

The time it takes to see results from weight loss efforts varies from person to person. Some may see changes on the scale within a few weeks, while others may take longer. Remember that weight loss is not just about the number on the scale, but also about improvements in body composition and overall health.

4. Is it necessary to exercise for weight loss, or can I just focus on diet?

While diet plays a significant role in weight loss, incorporating exercise into your routine can greatly benefit the process. Exercise not only burns calories, but it also helps to build muscle and boost metabolism. A combination of a healthy diet and regular exercise is recommended for successful weight loss.

5. Can I lose weight and keep it off permanently in a specific time period?

Losing weight and keeping it off requires a long-term commitment to a healthy lifestyle. While it is possible to lose weight in a specific time period, maintaining that weight loss requires ongoing efforts such as maintaining a balanced diet and staying physically active. It is important to focus on making sustainable lifestyle changes rather than quick fixes for long-term weight loss success.