Weight Loss FAQ | 3500 Calories = 1 Pound?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Dooga Blackrazor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Loss Weight
In summary, daily weight changes are not a good indicator of actual weight loss. It is important to focus on long-term changes and not get discouraged by short-term fluctuations. Additionally, losing weight does not necessarily mean losing muscle mass unless there is a severe lack of protein intake. Rehydrating after exercise is important for maintaining overall health.
Dooga Blackrazor
3500 calories equals about 1 pound. However, you can get 3500 calories and 500% of your daily fat intake. Does that mean you will gain more weight? As far as I can tell, you gain the same amount except you are gaining an unhealthy amount of your calories from fat (losing out on nutrients). Maybe I am mistaken.

Second question. I am a male 5'11, 175 (now 170) pounds. I am trying to lose a bit of weight. Last week I lost 2 pounds and gained 1 (ate an entire medium pizza) then lost it again.

Yesterday I mowed a lawn for about an hour and a half, had a 30 minute walk, and I walk/jog/ran 40 minutes on a treadmill. I also did about 5 minutes of weights. I ate about 1000 calories if I had to guess (but I drank a ton of water).

It is my understanding that you don't burn muscle when there is fat that can be burned. If this is the case, I am wondering how I could have lost so much weight in a day. I have been weighing myself almost daily and never noticed a change more than a pound.

Biology news on Phys.org
1. you do not "burn" muscle unless you are completely deprived of protein, and then you also "burn" organ proteins as well as muscle protein.

2. You cannot pay attention to daily weight changes. If you want to lose weight, you can weigh yourself every day if you want, but it is the change over a longer period of time, like several weeks, that reflects actual weight change. This is because humans are largely water, and we can lose/gain liquid over short periods of time. The weight loss you saw was due to water loss. At 170 pounds it is possible to lose 5 pounds in several hours. If you do not replenish the water (rehydrate) the "wieght loss" may seem to stay with you for a day or two. Not rehydrating is bad for you by the way.

I would like to clarify some points about weight loss and calorie intake. It is true that a deficit of 3500 calories can lead to a loss of 1 pound of body weight. However, this is a general guideline and can vary depending on an individual's metabolism, body composition, and other factors.

In terms of the second question, it is important to note that weight loss and weight gain are not always linear processes. There can be fluctuations in weight due to various factors such as water retention, muscle gain, and changes in diet. It is also important to consider the types of calories consumed, as a diet high in unhealthy fats can lead to weight gain and other health issues.

Regarding the concern about losing muscle mass, it is possible to lose both fat and muscle when in a caloric deficit. The key is to maintain a balanced and nutritious diet while incorporating exercise to preserve muscle mass. It is also important to note that weight loss should be approached in a healthy and sustainable manner, rather than focusing solely on the number on the scale.

In summary, while the 3500 calorie guideline can provide a general understanding of weight loss, it is important to consider individual factors and approach weight loss in a balanced and healthy manner. Consulting a healthcare professional or registered dietitian can also provide personalized guidance and support in achieving weight loss goals.

1. How does the 3500 calorie rule relate to weight loss?

The 3500 calorie rule states that in order to lose one pound of body fat, one must create a calorie deficit of 3500 calories. This can be achieved through a combination of reducing calorie intake and increasing physical activity.

2. Is the 3500 calorie rule accurate for everyone?

The 3500 calorie rule is a general guideline and may vary for individuals based on factors such as age, gender, and metabolism. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional to determine an appropriate and safe calorie deficit for weight loss.

3. Can I lose more than one pound per week by following the 3500 calorie rule?

The 3500 calorie rule suggests a calorie deficit of 500 calories per day, which can result in a weight loss of one pound per week. However, with a combination of a healthy diet and regular exercise, it is possible to lose more than one pound per week.

4. Are all calories equal when it comes to weight loss?

No, not all calories are equal. While a calorie is a unit of energy, the source of that calorie can impact weight loss. For example, 100 calories from vegetables will have a different effect on weight loss than 100 calories from a sugary snack.

5. Can I just focus on reducing my calorie intake without exercising to lose weight?

While reducing calorie intake is an important aspect of weight loss, incorporating regular physical activity is also crucial for maintaining a healthy weight. Exercise not only burns calories, but it also helps build muscle, which can increase metabolism and aid in weight loss.