Weight/Normal Force of a block

In summary, the conversation involves a student seeking help with a physics problem involving finding the weight of a block given certain values for P, M, and theta. The conversation includes a discussion of forces acting on the block and the use of Newton's second law to solve for the weight. The final conclusion is that the student was able to find the correct answer by analyzing the forces and applying Newton's second law. The conversation also touches on the assumption of frictionless surfaces in the problem and the suggestion to approach the problem systematically.
AnkhUNC
[SOLVED] Weight/Normal Force of a block

Homework Statement

If P = 1.98, M = 1, Theta = 45 degrees what is the weight of m in Newtons?

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/3339/fig450ph7.gif

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm apparently doing this wrong. I was trying to solve for the normal force given that N = Mg/cos theta but this is just 9.8 so I'm doing something wrong. Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any further description of the problem? Is the block sliding down the incline?

P (1.98) is such that the block is not moving.

Thats all I'm given :(

Start by identifying the forces acting on each mass. Draw a free body diagram for each.

What can you say about the net force on the block?

AnkhUNC said:
I was trying to solve for the normal force given that N = Mg/cos theta ...
How did you deduce this?

N cosθ – mg = ma(y). a(y) = 0 so N = Mg/cos theta?

Forces on triangle block are W (Mass pointed down), P (->), Normal force up mgcos(theta) opposite the angle of the block?

Small block is w pointed straight down and Normal force at an angle opposite (90d?)

AnkhUNC said:
Good. But don't mix M and m: N = mg/cos(theta).
Forces on triangle block are W (Mass pointed down), P (->), Normal force up mgcos(theta) opposite the angle of the block?
Only worry about horizontal forces on the triangle.
Small block is w pointed straight down and Normal force at an angle opposite (90d?)
OK

Keep going. Apply Newton's 2nd law to the horizontal direction and see what you can deduce. Hint: What net horizontal force acts on the block? On both masses?

P = (M + m) g tanθ?

But this gives me m = .2020408163 so * 9.8 just = 1.98 again which is wrong.

N = Nx i + Ny j = N sinθ i + N cosθ j

–Nsinθ = –mgtanθ

P – mg tanθ = Max

N sinθ = mg tanθ = max

P = (M + m) g tanθ I guess I'm just having a hard time seeing what I need to get out of this.

F = Mgcos(45) - mgsin(45)? That doesn't even look right...

AnkhUNC said:
P = (M + m) g tanθ?
No. Just apply Newton's 2nd law to M + m. (Where did you get the g tanθ?)

After you do that, apply it to the block alone.

Ah its equal to 1! Sweet! I don't know if I did it right or not though. I did N = Mg/cos(45) to find N then N = mg/sin(45) so m = 1!

AnkhUNC said:
P = (M + m) g tanθ?
Actually, I take it back. This seems correct to me. (I just didn't see how you got. You gave your conclusion first. :wink:)

But your data doesn't seem OK.
But this gives me m = .2020408163 so * 9.8 just = 1.98 again which is wrong.
I don't see how you deduced this value for m.

AnkhUNC said:
Ah its equal to 1! Sweet! I don't know if I did it right or not though. I did N = Mg/cos(45) to find N then N = mg/sin(45) so m = 1!
Where did you get N = Mg/cos(45) = mg/sin(45)? I thought we had established that N = mg/cos(45).

I was just trying to find a value for N without having m. Like I said I got the right answer but I'm sure I did it wrong

What makes you think you got the right answer?

AnkhUNC said:

Hi AnkhUNC! :smile:

waaah … you've left out the y-component of the poor little friction force. :cry:

When you draw a diagram, you should always mark in all the forces

You need to take components in the normal direction, so that the friction component will be 0.

Then N = ? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
..the poor little friction force. :cry:
Don't cry, tiny-tim! Now I'm starting to cry... :cry:

I would assume, lacking any statement to the contrary, that the surfaces are frictionless.

The answer checked as right but like I said I was sure I did it wrong. If its not moving then N is going to be equal to P?

Any websites you can recommend to help with these types of problems? :(

How about the site you're on right now? :wink:

Just attack it systematically, as I suggest in post #7. (I assume the surfaces are frictionless, correct?)

(I'd say that given the data you supplied, there is no correct answer. But you can solve for m symbolically in terms of P and M.)

Yeah there isn't a frictional force. I think the problem was just to get me thinking about the process and I spent way too much time on it :P

Just do it step by step. Analyze the forces and apply Newton's 2nd law:
(1) To the block (vertical direction)
(2) To the block (horizontal direction)
(3) To the entire system (horizontal direction)

Doc Al said:
Don't cry, tiny-tim! Now I'm starting to cry... :cry:

I would assume, lacking any statement to the contrary, that the surfaces are frictionless.

Yes, looking at the diagram again, I think you're right!

Presumably the whole system is accelerating, but the little block is not moving relative to the big block, so resolving vertically was correct after all. :redface:

oh … I'm so much more cheerful now!

Thanks, Doc Al! :smile:

What is the weight of a block?

The weight of a block is the gravitational force acting on the block due to the Earth's gravitational pull. It is measured in Newtons (N) and can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the block (in kilograms) by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

How is weight related to mass?

Weight and mass are often used interchangeably, but they are actually two different things. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object and is constant, while weight is a measure of the force acting on an object due to gravity and can change depending on the location of the object.

What is the normal force of a block?

The normal force of a block is the force exerted by a surface on an object in contact with it. It is always perpendicular to the surface and equal in magnitude to the weight of the object, as long as the object is not accelerating.

How does the normal force change on an inclined plane?

On an inclined plane, the normal force will be less than the weight of the object because some of the weight is acting in the direction of the plane's slope. The normal force can be calculated by multiplying the weight of the object by the cosine of the angle of inclination.

What factors affect the normal force of a block?

The normal force of a block can be affected by the weight and mass of the block, the surface it is in contact with, and the angle of inclination (if on an inclined plane). It is also affected by any other forces acting on the object, such as friction or applied forces.