Weight of Charged vs. Uncharged Battery

In summary: In other words, photons exert a pressure on the screen, just as if they were objects with rest mass.This is a really interesting question! I say Yes.The pressure exerted by photons on a screen [or a large sail] is what causes the deflection of starlight as it passes near the Sun, or by the redshifting of light as it travels upwards from the floor of a laboratory.In summary, a charged battery will weigh more than an uncharged one.
ukmicky
Firstly Happy New Year

secondly does a charged battery weigh more than an uncharged one

I presume the charged one will weigh more.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's a really interesting question! I say Yes.

My GUESS is no

http://www.energizer.com/learning/howbatterieswork.asp *requires Flash

Have a look at powering the device, third tab, electricity is the flow of electrons, when the circuit is completed the electrons flow from the cathode to the anode, the electrons are therefore displaced and not removed, so if all else remained the same the mass should not change

but this is just a guess

Something interesting is, that if you drop a battery (with a full charge) from about 6 to 10 inches onto a concrete floor, it will bounce much less (almost seem to stick to the floor) than an empty one, which bounces quite high comparitivly. Not saying this has to do with the weight of the battery, but maybe someone could offer an explanation?

Energy is stored in a battery in chemical form. In other words, the energy is stored in the chemical bonds between atoms, which involve electrons. A charged battery has many such bonds already formed, while a discharged battery contains the same atoms, but with the bonds almost all broken.

The question, then, really boils down to this one: does a molecule weigh more or less than the sum of its constituent atoms?

A molecule certainly contains more energy than does a collection of its constituent atoms. It is also true that energy and mass are both affected by 'gravitational fields,' as can be seen by the deflection of starlight as it passes near the Sun, or by the redshifting of light as it travels upwards from the floor of a laboratory.

A charged battery, of course, contains more energy than a discharged one -- a trivial statement. A charged battery must necessarily weigh more than an uncharged one. In the same vein, a box of mirrors full of photons will weigh more than a similar box without any photons inside.

However, the difference in weight is incredibly tiny, due the very large value of c2, the constant that associates quantities of mass with quantities of energy in the famous equation E = mc2.

To give you an idea, consider my laptop battery, which produces a potential difference of about 12V and can supply about 4 amp-hours of current. This battery contains about 172,800 joules of energy when charged. The equivalent mass of that energy, however, is tiny: only about 2 billionths of a gram:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...+ampere+hours)+/+c^2+in+nanograms&btnG=Search

- Warren

Last edited:
E=MC2 can be used to predict the increase in mass due to heating as well.

chroot said:
In the same vein, a box of mirrors full of photons will weigh more than a similar box without any photons inside.
This one weirds me out a bit, Chroot. It might just be because of the 6 Keith's that I've injested in the past 2 hours, but I don't think so. While photons follow the spacetime curvature of a gravitational field, they are by all physical rules massless. How can something of zero mass affect the weight of its container? If you're referring to photonic pressure, it should be equal in all directions. Please clarify this for me.

6 Keith's in 2 hrs? you getting warmed up for something? Anyway, massless does not mean weightless.

Danger said:
This one weirds me out a bit, Chroot. It might just be because of the 6 Keith's that I've injested in the past 2 hours, but I don't think so. While photons follow the spacetime curvature of a gravitational field, they are by all physical rules massless. How can something of zero mass affect the weight of its container? If you're referring to photonic pressure, it should be equal in all directions. Please clarify this for me.

They have no rest mass, but they are never at rest. Consider that photons colliding with a screen [or a large sail] impose a force on that screen - the [negative] rate of change of momentum is force.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between a charged battery and an uncharged battery?

A charged battery has stored chemical energy that can be converted into electrical energy, while an uncharged battery has no stored energy and cannot provide power.

2. How does the weight of a charged battery compare to that of an uncharged battery?

The weight of a charged battery is typically slightly heavier than an uncharged battery due to the presence of stored energy in the form of chemical compounds.

3. Does the weight of a charged battery affect its performance?

The weight of a charged battery does not directly affect its performance, but the amount of stored energy does. A heavier battery may have a higher capacity and therefore last longer, but this also depends on the type and quality of the battery.

4. Why do some batteries feel heavier than others of the same size?

The weight of a battery is determined by the materials used in its construction, such as the type of metal used for the electrodes and the amount of electrolyte present. Some batteries may have denser materials, making them feel heavier even if they have the same amount of stored energy.

5. Is it safe to handle a charged battery compared to an uncharged battery?

Both charged and uncharged batteries should be handled with caution as they both contain chemicals that can be harmful. It is important to follow proper safety measures when handling any type of battery.