Weight of light and Gravity Speed

In summary, my math teacher was discussing how NASA has been measuring the mass of light and how it doesn't have any mass if it doesn't have any momentum. He also mentioned a concept called gravitational speed which is a speed that is faster than the speed of light and has no lag. Do you know anything about this?
Guard
My math teacher was talking to me about how NASA weighed light. If it doesn't have any mass, how is this possible? Also, he was saying that they are beginning to study a speed faster than the speed of light. Called Gravity Speed. Which has no lag, and is instantaneous. Do any of you know about these?

Science news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Guard
My math teacher was talking to me about how NASA weighed light. If it doesn't have any mass, how is this possible? Also, he was saying that they are beginning to study a speed faster than the speed of light. Called Gravity Speed. Which has no lag, and is instantaneous. Do any of you know about these?

And your math teacher told you the derivative of x is 0.

Here is a concept, read some of the other threads on the forum.

Gravity is not instantaneous, it propagates at c.

Originally posted by Guard

Perhaps you misunderstood him. Maybe he was talking about the gravitational aspects of light? Do you recall exactly what he meant by that? Perhaps be meant the same thing Alan Guth did when he wrote the following. From his class notes on The Early Universe
We are perhaps not used to thinking of electromagnetic radiation as having mass, but it is well-known that radiation has energy density. If the energy density is denoted by u, then special relativity implies that the electromagnetic radiation has a mass density [tex]\rho[/tex] given by

[tex]\rho = u/c^{2}[/tex]

To my knowledge nobody has ever actually "weighed" electrogmagnetic radiation in any way, but the theoretical evidence in favor of Eq. (7.3) is overwhelming - light does have mass. (Nonetheless, the photon has zero rest mass, ...)
The full page can be read at
http://www.geocities.com/physics_world/guth.gif

1. What is the weight of light?

The weight of light is not a measurable quantity because light does not have mass. Instead, it is described by its energy and wavelength.

2. How does gravity affect the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, gravity can affect the path of light, but it does not directly impact its speed. The speed of light is a constant in a vacuum, regardless of gravitational forces.

3. Can light travel at the same speed as gravity?

No, light and gravity are two distinct forces and do not have the same speed. The speed of light is approximately 300 million meters per second, while the speed of gravity is considered to be infinite.

4. Does the weight of an object affect its speed due to gravity?

Yes, the weight of an object can affect its speed due to gravity. The greater the weight of an object, the stronger the force of gravity acting on it, which can result in a faster acceleration towards the ground.

5. How are light and gravity related?

Light and gravity are related through the theory of general relativity, which explains how gravity curves the fabric of space-time. This curvature affects the path of light, causing it to appear bent in the presence of massive objects.