Can We Determine the Mass of Mercury and Venus Using Space Probe Orbits?

In summary, the conversation discusses the methods of finding the mass of Mercury and Venus. It is suggested to use Google to directly search for the mass of Venus, which is 4.86900 × 10^24 kilograms. It is also mentioned that Google has other functions such as unit conversion. Additionally, the use of artificial satellites is mentioned as the best way to determine the masses of these planets.
chetan
How to find out the mass of Mercury & Venus

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by chetan
How to find out the mass of Mercury & Venus

Google gives the answeer direct. Type in Venus mass and you get the answer:
mass of Venus = 4.86900 × 10^24 kilograms

Google is VERY powerful and has many functions that you may be aware of... try it!

I meant to say 'may NOT of heard of..'

It converts units too... type in 'kilogram to pounds' (without the quotes and it gives you the conversion factor...

Google rocks!

I think chetan meant, "How do we find the masses of Venus and Mercury empirically?" They don't have moons of course so you can't use that method. My guess is that maybe we use artificial satellites to measure their masses. Honestly, I don't know though.
Anyone else?

Yes, the orbits of space probes give us the best determination of their masses. (If Mercury and Venus had moons, we could use those, but they don't.)

1. What is the weight of Mercury?

The weight of Mercury is approximately 3.285 x 10^23 kilograms. This is about 5.5% of the weight of Earth.

2. How does the weight of Venus compare to Earth?

The weight of Venus is approximately 4.867 x 10^24 kilograms, making it about 81.5% of the weight of Earth.

3. Why is the weight of Venus greater than Mercury?

The weight of a planet is determined by its mass and the force of gravity acting on it. Venus has a greater mass than Mercury, and it also has a higher surface gravity due to its larger size, resulting in a greater weight.

4. How does the weight of Mercury compare to other planets in our solar system?

Mercury is the smallest planet in our solar system, and as a result, it has the lowest weight. It is significantly smaller and lighter than the other planets, with a weight of only about 5.5% of Earth's weight.

5. Can the weight of Mercury and Venus change over time?

The weight of a planet can change over time due to various factors, such as changes in its internal structure or collisions with other objects in space. However, the weight of Mercury and Venus is relatively stable as they are not undergoing significant changes currently.