1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weight of opened cold coke

1. Oct 24, 2011 #1
    A bottle of coke was taken out of refrigerator. It was then kept in a sensitive weighing balance.Its cap was opened. The initial weight was found to be 2.403 kg. After a while its weight increased to 2.423 kg. Then again it started decreasing.
    I repeated this experiment for many times. And the result was the same the weight first increased and then started decreasing.
    But I think that the weight must plainly start to decrease because the coke molecules will evaporate.
    Please explain this fairly contradictory result to me.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2011 #2
    It sounds like the cold Bottle attracted condensation, as the bottle warmed the condensate evaporated.

4. Oct 24, 2011 #3

xts

Interesting... I may believe it is a water condensating on the bottle.

To check this hypothesis - try the same experiment, but do not open the bottle.

And as soon as it reaches maximum weight - wipe it with a towel and put back on the balance.

EDIT>>>
    I hardly may believe that different bottles of Coke have their weight identical up to 1g accuracy.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook