Why does the weight of opened cold coke change over time?

• Thread starter Himal kharel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cold Weight
In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment where a bottle of coke was taken out of the refrigerator, placed on a weighing balance, and its weight was observed to increase and then decrease. The participants hypothesize that the weight may decrease due to evaporation of the coke molecules and suggest a follow-up experiment to test this theory. They also discuss the possibility of condensation on the bottle affecting the weight.
Himal kharel
A bottle of coke was taken out of refrigerator. It was then kept in a sensitive weighing balance.Its cap was opened. The initial weight was found to be 2.403 kg. After a while its weight increased to 2.423 kg. Then again it started decreasing.
I repeated this experiment for many times. And the result was the same the weight first increased and then started decreasing.
But I think that the weight must plainly start to decrease because the coke molecules will evaporate.
Please explain this fairly contradictory result to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like the cold Bottle attracted condensation, as the bottle warmed the condensate evaporated.

Interesting... I may believe it is a water condensating on the bottle.

To check this hypothesis - try the same experiment, but do not open the bottle.

And as soon as it reaches maximum weight - wipe it with a towel and put back on the balance.

EDIT>>>
I hardly may believe that different bottles of Coke have their weight identical up to 1g accuracy.

Last edited:

What is the weight of an opened cold coke?

The weight of an opened cold coke can vary depending on the size and type of the bottle or can, as well as the amount of liquid remaining inside. On average, a 12-ounce can of coke will weigh around 13 ounces once opened.

Does the weight of an opened cold coke change over time?

Yes, the weight of an opened cold coke can change over time due to evaporation of the liquid inside. As the liquid evaporates, the weight of the coke will decrease.

Why is the weight of an opened cold coke different from an unopened one?

The weight of an opened cold coke is different from an unopened one because once the can or bottle is opened, the carbonation is released, causing a decrease in weight. Additionally, some of the liquid may have been consumed, further decreasing the weight.

How can the weight of an opened cold coke be measured accurately?

The weight of an opened cold coke can be measured accurately using a scale. It is important to account for the weight of the container to get an accurate measurement of the weight of the liquid inside.

Does the weight of an opened cold coke affect its taste?

The weight of an opened cold coke does not directly affect its taste. However, as the liquid evaporates over time, the concentration of sugar and other ingredients may change, potentially altering the taste of the coke.