How can one determine the weight of a boat submerged in water?

In summary: Buoyancy has nothing to do with it?No. In summary, a boat designed to run fully-submerged is called a submarine, and a boat that is not designed to run fully-submerged but must have a hole (or holes) in it, so it's sunken displacement tells you nothing about its weight or volume.
alister718
if i tell you that water displaced in terms of (Volume initial and Vfinal ) is Vf how would i be able (if you can) to calculate the weight of the boat?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the boat is floating it's weight is equal to the weigth of the volume of water displaced.
If you know the volume and density of the water you have the weight of the boat.

Last edited:
Buoyancy has nothing to do with it?

V_f would not allow you to know the weight of the boat, It would only allow you to know the volume of the boat. You must also know the material that the boat is made from in order to find the weight.

The displaced water dictates how much upward force is exerted on the boat.

alister718 said:
Buoyancy has nothing to do with it?
That is buoyancy. That's what buoyancy is!
In physics, buoyancy is the upward force on an object produced by the surrounding fluid (i.e., a liquid or a gas) in which it is fully, or partially immersed, due to the pressure difference of the fluid between the top and bottom of the object. The net upward buoyancy force is equal to the magnitude of the weight of fluid displaced by the body.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buoyancy

Math Jeans said:
V_f would not allow you to know the weight of the boat, It would only allow you to know the volume of the boat. You must also know the material that the boat is made from in order to find the weight.
No. Think about that a little more. Why would this tell you the volume of the boat? Most of the boat is not submerged! So the volume of water displaced is only the volume of the submerged portion of the boat...
The displaced water dictates how much upward force is exerted on the boat.
Yes, and...? How much upward force does the floor exert on you...?

if order to do this we would need to find the height of the boat that is not submerged

Sorry, I thougt that the implication was the the boat was fully submerged. My mistake.

alister718 said:
if order to do this we would need to find the height of the boat that is not submerged
No, no, no, no, no.

Look at the equation for buoyant force! You only need to know one thing (that isn't a constant) and you gave it in your opening post!

Last edited:
Math Jeans said:
Sorry, I thougt that the implication was the the boat was fully submerged. My mistake.
A boat designed to run fully-submerged is called a "submarine"...

A boat that is not designed to run fully-submerged but is must have a hole (or holes) in it, so it's sunken displacement tells you nothing about its weight or volume.

What is the concept of "Weight of the boat in water"?

The weight of the boat in water refers to the total weight of the boat and any objects or substances on board when it is floating in water.

How is the weight of a boat in water different from its weight on land?

The weight of a boat in water is different from its weight on land because of the buoyant force exerted by the water. This force counteracts the weight of the boat and reduces the overall weight when it is floating.

Why is it important to know the weight of a boat in water?

Knowing the weight of a boat in water is important for determining its stability and load capacity. It also helps in calculating the buoyancy and displacement of the boat.

How is the weight of a boat in water measured?

The weight of a boat in water is typically measured using a scale or by calculating the displacement of the water when the boat is placed in it. This displacement is then converted to weight using the density of water.

What factors can affect the weight of a boat in water?

The weight of a boat in water can be affected by factors such as the type and size of the boat, the number of passengers and cargo on board, and the density and temperature of the water it is floating in.