1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weight of the roof

1. Nov 6, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 190 km/h wind blowing over the flat roof of a house causes the roof to lift off the house.
    If the house is 6.5m x 15m in size, estimate the weight of the roof. Assume the roof is not nailed down.

2. Relevant equations

Bernoulli's equation : P1 + 1/2pv^2 +pgy = P2 + 1/2pv^2 + pgy

3. The attempt at a solution

i reduced the equation down to 1/2pv^2 to get pressure which numerically was 1671.3 and then i multiplied that by the area which i calculated to be 97.5 m^2, to get the force.

I was clueless on how to approach this problem, but im even more confused now. please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You are done, aren't you? The problem asked for the weight of the roof. In order to lift something, you must apply a force (at least) equal to its weight. If the force you calculated was just enough to lift the roof, then that is the weight of the roof!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?