1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weight on a Neutron Star

1. Nov 6, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Neutron stars, such as the one at the center of the Crab Nebula, have about the same mass as our sun but a much smaller diameter.

If you weigh 675 N on the earth, what would be your weight on the surface of a neutron star that has the same mass as our sun and a diameter of 16.0 km?

Take the mass of the sun to be = 1.99×1030kg , the gravitational constant to be G= 6.67×10−11 , and the acceleration due to gravity at the earth's surface to be g = 9.81

2. Relevant equations

I think??

3. The attempt at a solution

well I have not attempted it because the equation I have doesn't make sense when you include R_E^2 so I am unsure of the proper formulas??
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2007 #2
    You need to change the M_e to M_n, the mass of the neutron star, and R_e to R_n, the radius of the neutron star. Everything should then work out fine.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?