1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weight on Earth v Moon

1. Feb 11, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The gravitational acceleration on the moon is 1.62 m/s2. If you can barely lift 195 lbf on earth, what would be the max you could lift on the moon (give answer in N).

2. Relevant equations

F=mg

3. The attempt at a solution

I have a feeling this is a trick question and the answer is the max weight you can lift would be the same here or on the moon. You could lift 6X more mass, but not weight. I'm not sure how to explain this thought. Any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2007 #2

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was about to fall for the trick and do the math.
    What's wrong with this?

4. Feb 11, 2007 #3
    your answer is good--but I mean, there really is no mathematical explanation. All you are saying is that if you can lift 195 on earth you can lift the same on the moon because hopefully you don't undergo to much genetic mutation as you are struck with cosmic rays on the moon/on the way to the moon.

5. Feb 11, 2007 #4
    I know its a good answer, I just don't quite understand why I could lift the same weight here and on the moon. Sometimes its the easy stuff that trips me up.

6. Feb 11, 2007 #5

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Because weight is force, and you're just as strong and forcefull on the moon as you are here. You already figured it out that this same force will allow you to lift 6 times as much mass.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?