Weight on hypothetical planet

In summary: The final answer should be approximately 3.7 N.In summary, to find the weight of a person on a hypothetical planet with a mass of 1/100 that of Earth and a radius of 1/4 that of Earth, we can use the formula F = G*m1*m2 / r^2, where m1 is the mass of the planet and m2 is the person's mass. By plugging in the values, we find that the person would weigh approximately 3.7 N on this planet.
Ready2GoXtr

Homework Statement

The mass of a hypothetical planet is 1/100 that of Earth and its radius is 1/4 that of Earth. If a person weighs 150 lb on earth, what would he weigh on this planet

Homework Equations

I think F = G*m1*m2 / r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe F = 150lbs (im not sure)

So in that problem do i do G (Me/100)(Me)/ (Re/4)^2

no I am not doign something right. I really wish my professor would have covered this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have his weight on Earth, so you'd need to find his mass by dividing by acc. due to gravity on Earth.

Then use the info to find the accel. due to gravity on the planet,g'.

New weight will be mg'.

Remember how to find gravitational field strength?

rock.freak667 said:
Remember how to find gravitational field strength?

Since my proffessor is way behind, he said Gravitational fields is one thing that we will not cover on test/final. Does this mean this question is invalid?

Ready2GoXtr said:
Since my proffessor is way behind, he said Gravitational fields is one thing that we will not cover on test/final. Does this mean this question is invalid?

ah my bad. You don't need to go through all of this.

Just use

[tex]F=\frac{GM_1m}{r^2}[/tex]

which is what you were doing. But one of the masses is the planets mass while the other is the mass of the person (this is what you need to find).

150lb = 68 kg

F = G*5.98x10^24*68 / 1592500^2 = 107 N ?

One mass is the mass of the planet= 5.98E24 /100

for r did you put (radius of the earth)/4 and then square?

rock.freak667 said:
One mass is the mass of the planet= 5.98E24 /100

for r did you put (radius of the earth)/4 and then square?

yes1234

Then it should be correct.

1. What is the concept of weight on a hypothetical planet?

The concept of weight on a hypothetical planet refers to the gravitational force exerted on an object by that planet. This force is determined by the planet's mass and the distance between the object and the planet's center of mass.

2. How does the weight on a hypothetical planet differ from weight on Earth?

The weight on a hypothetical planet can differ from weight on Earth due to variations in the planet's mass and size, as well as its distance from the object. This can result in a greater or lesser gravitational force, and therefore a different weight measurement.

3. How is weight on a hypothetical planet calculated?

The weight on a hypothetical planet is calculated using Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, which states that the force of gravity between two objects is directly proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

4. Can weight on a hypothetical planet be measured?

Yes, weight on a hypothetical planet can be measured using a scale that takes into account the planet's gravitational force. However, the measurement may not be accurate due to the limitations of current technology and the unknown variables of the planet.

5. How does weight on a hypothetical planet affect objects and living beings?

The weight on a hypothetical planet can affect objects and living beings by influencing their movements and behaviors. A stronger gravitational force can make it more difficult for objects and beings to move, while a weaker force can make it easier. This can also impact the physical structure and capabilities of organisms living on the planet.