Weight on Mars: Calculating 56lbs from 150lbs

In summary, the conversation is about finding the weight of an object on Mars given its weight on Earth. The equations used are F=G(m1)m2/d^2 and G = 6.67x10^-11. The conversation also mentions frustration with incorrect units and a lack of previous instruction on this topic. The solution ultimately involves finding the ratio of the gravitational force on Earth and Mars.
Afide

Homework Statement

The problem is to find what 150lbs on Earth = Xlbs on mars.

Homework Equations

F=G(m1)m2/d^2

G = 6.67x10^-11 (obviously)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm getting incredibly annoyed because he gave us the wrong units etc, and we didn't even go over this in class. The last time I did this was in Highschool Physics...150lbs = 68KG

mars has .108 the mass of Earth and the diameter is 6,787KM
FG (W) = 6.67x10^-11 (68 KG) 6.45x10^23 KG
___________________________ = 8.63 Newtons?...
3393.5^2 KMI know my answer needs to be 249N which = 56lbs (I went onto an online calculator thing)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Afide said:

Homework Statement

The problem is to find what 150lbs on Earth = Xlbs on mars.

Homework Equations

F=G(m1)m2/d^2

G = 6.67x10^-11 (obviously)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm getting incredibly annoyed because he gave us the wrong units etc, and we didn't even go over this in class. The last time I did this was in Highschool Physics...

150lbs = 68KG

mars has .108 the mass of Earth and the diameter is 6,787KM

FG (W) = 6.67x10^-11 (68 KG) 6.45x10^23 KG
___________________________ = 8.63 Newtons?...
3393.5^2 KM

I know my answer needs to be 249N which = 56lbs (I went onto an online calculator thing)

Check your units. Shouldn't you have the units of Mars' radius in meters? Make sure your units for G go with your other units.

This might be easier to solve using ratios.

[tex]F_e = \frac{GmM_e}{R_e^2}[/tex]

[tex]F_m = \frac{GmM_m}{R_m^2}[/tex]

Divide to find Fm/Fe. Doing it this way, several things cancel and you don't have to worry about converting units.

1. How is weight calculated on Mars?

The weight on Mars is calculated using the formula: W = (M × g) / (G × R2), where W is the weight, M is the mass of the object, g is the surface gravity of Mars, G is the universal gravitational constant, and R is the radius of Mars.

2. What is the surface gravity of Mars?

The surface gravity of Mars is approximately 3.711 m/s2, which is about 38% of the surface gravity on Earth.

3. How does weight on Mars compare to weight on Earth?

Due to the lower surface gravity on Mars, an object that weighs 150lbs on Earth would only weigh about 56lbs on Mars.

4. Why is there a difference in weight between Earth and Mars?

The difference in weight between Earth and Mars is due to the difference in their surface gravities. Since Mars has a lower surface gravity, objects will weigh less on the Martian surface compared to Earth.

5. Can the weight on Mars be calculated for any object?

Yes, the weight on Mars can be calculated for any object with a known mass using the formula mentioned above. However, it should be noted that the weight may vary slightly depending on the object's location on the Martian surface.