Weight of Gold & Lead Crown: Calculate & Solve

• Thread starter Sabres151
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weight
In summary, the conversation discusses determining the weight of a crown made of pure gold and half gold and half lead, given its volume of 26in^3 = 0.015ft^3. It is mentioned that the density of gold is 19,300kg/m^3 and 1200lb/ft^3, and the equations m = V x D and W = mg are suggested for finding the weight. The conversation also provides the densities of lead and water.
Sabres151
Here's the question:

It is determined by immersing a crown in water that its volume is 26in^3 = 0.015ft^3.

What would its weight be if it were made of pure gold?
What would its weight be if it half of its volume were gold and half lead?

I'm not sure how to solve. I know this for gold:

D = 19,300kg/m^3
Dw = 1200lb/ft^3

I thougt the two equations needed would be the following:

m = V X D (since we know volume)
followed by...
W = mg, where m is solved for above and g = 9.8... My answer of 2837 didn't make much sense...

Physics news on Phys.org
Well figure out what you do know, e.g. what is the weight of the crown out of water if gold? What would the combo weight be? What is the weight of an equivilant amount of water?

Dw is the density of gold?.?

The density of lead is 709 lb/cubic foot, and the density of water is 62.4 lb/cubic foot in case you didn't know.

Last edited:

I would approach this problem by first converting the given volume of the crown from cubic inches to cubic feet. This can be done by dividing 26in^3 by 1728in^3/ft^3, which gives a volume of 0.015ft^3.

Next, I would use the density values provided for gold and lead to calculate the mass of each material. The equation for mass is mass = density x volume. For pure gold, the mass would be (19,300kg/m^3)(0.015ft^3) = 289.5kg. For a mixture of half gold and half lead, the mass would be ((19,300kg/m^3)(0.0075ft^3)) + ((11,340kg/m^3)(0.0075ft^3)) = 144.8kg + 85.1kg = 229.9kg.

Finally, to calculate the weight of each crown, I would use the equation weight = mass x gravity. Since the question does not specify a specific location, I will assume a standard gravity of 9.8m/s^2. For the pure gold crown, the weight would be (289.5kg)(9.8m/s^2) = 2841.1N. For the half gold and half lead crown, the weight would be (229.9kg)(9.8m/s^2) = 2252.2N.

In summary, the weight of the crown if it were made of pure gold would be approximately 2841.1N, and the weight of the crown if half of its volume were gold and half lead would be approximately 2252.2N. It is important to note that these values may vary slightly depending on the actual density values used for gold and lead and the location where the weight is being calculated.

1. How do you calculate the weight of a gold and lead crown?

The weight of a gold and lead crown can be calculated by first determining the volume of the crown. This can be done by measuring the dimensions of the crown and using the formula for volume (length x width x height). Once the volume is determined, the weight can be calculated by multiplying the volume by the density of gold and the density of lead, then adding the two weights together.

2. What is the density of gold and lead?

The density of gold is approximately 19.3 g/cm3, while the density of lead is about 11.3 g/cm3. These values may vary slightly depending on the purity of the materials used.

3. How can the weight of a crown affect its wearability?

The weight of a crown can greatly affect its wearability. A heavier crown may cause discomfort and strain on the neck and head, especially if worn for extended periods of time. It may also cause damage to the underlying teeth and gums if not properly supported. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider the weight of a crown when designing and fitting it for a patient.

4. Can the weight of a crown change over time?

Yes, the weight of a crown can change over time due to wear and tear, as well as exposure to certain chemicals and environments. Gold and lead are both soft and malleable metals, so they may be prone to slight changes in weight over time. Additionally, if the crown is not properly cared for, it may accumulate buildup or corrosion which can add weight to the crown.

5. How can the weight of a gold and lead crown be adjusted?

If a gold and lead crown is found to be too heavy or uncomfortable, it can be adjusted by removing some of the material or replacing it with a lighter material. This can be done by a skilled dentist or jeweler. However, it is important to note that altering the weight of a crown may also affect its strength and durability, so it should only be done if necessary and with caution.