How Fast Does a 80 kg Weight Move After Being Pulled 1.5 m on a Rough Plane?

In summary, a weight of 80 kg is pulled over a rough horizontal plane with a coefficient of friction of 0.15 by a force of 359 N at an angle of 43 degrees from the plane. Using the equations Ff = muFn and Vf2 = Vi2 + 2ad, the speed of the weight 1.5 m away from its initial position is calculated to be 2.33 m/s assuming it started from rest.
Garicup

Homework Statement

A weight, mass m = 80 kg , is pulled over a rough horizontal plane, mu = 0.15, by a force of magnitude F = 359 N, making an angle of 43 degrees with the plane, away from the plane. Calculate the speed of the weight d= 1.5 m away from its initial position assuming that it started from rest.

Homework Equations

Ff = muFn

Vf2 = Vi2 + 2ad

The Attempt at a Solution

The applied force is evaluated in the x direction only (since the object remained on the floor)

therefore : Fappx = 359 cos 43 = 262.56N

Fn = mg , therefore
Ff = 0.15(80)(9.8) = 117.6N
sumFx = 262.56 - 117.6 = 144.96N

which means:::: ma = 144.96N
80a = 144.96
a = 1.812

given Vf2 = Vi2 + 2ad, and vi = 0 (rest)

then Vf2 = 2 (1.812)(1.5)

Vf = 2.33 m/s-------> This is what I've done on the question, I am having doubts though, can anyone please verify / correct anywhere I am wrong? Please and Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems right to me. Why do you have doubts?

I would first clarify any assumptions or uncertainties in the problem, such as the type of surface the weight is being pulled on and whether there is any external friction acting on the weight. I would also double check the values given in the problem to ensure accuracy.

With that being said, your solution appears to be correct. You have correctly identified and used relevant equations to solve for the final velocity of the weight. Your use of trigonometry to find the horizontal component of the applied force is also accurate. Overall, your solution is clear and well-organized.

One suggestion I would make is to provide units for your final answer (m/s) to ensure completeness and accuracy in your solution. Additionally, you could also include a brief explanation of your reasoning behind each step, which would make your solution more thorough and easier to follow for someone else reading it. Great work overall!

What is weight pulled on incline?

Weight pulled on incline is the amount of force necessary to move an object up an incline. It is affected by the mass of the object, the angle of the incline, and the force of gravity.

How is weight pulled on incline calculated?

Weight pulled on incline is calculated using the formula W = mgsinθ, where W is the weight pulled, m is the mass of the object, g is the force of gravity (usually 9.8 m/s^2), and θ is the angle of the incline.

What is the relationship between weight pulled on incline and the angle of the incline?

The weight pulled on incline is directly proportional to the angle of the incline. This means that as the angle increases, the weight pulled also increases. However, the force required to pull the weight may decrease due to the angle of the incline.

Can weight pulled on incline be greater than the weight of the object?

Yes, weight pulled on incline can be greater than the weight of the object. This is because the force required to move an object up an incline is less than the weight of the object due to the angle of the incline.

How does friction affect weight pulled on incline?

Friction can make weight pulled on incline greater by adding an additional force that must be overcome. This force is parallel to the incline and acts in the opposite direction of the movement of the object. Therefore, the steeper the incline, the less friction will affect the weight pulled.

Back