Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Weight what's the best?

1. Feb 17, 2009 #1
    Ok, so my topic kinda sounds like a science fair topic.

But anyhow...my parents have been asking me alot lately if I have been trying to lose weight, the fact is, I haven't. My weight has been staying at about the same weight. (roughly ranges +-5 lbs to my average {120, I'm 5'6"}) My pants don't fit me anymore. and I just bought them about 2 weeks ago. (that's why my parents think I'm trying to lose weight, but I'm kinda just at that age where my weight fluctuates {not fun when having to buy clothes for work that need to fit})

Well, now comes the question, what is a good weight for me? How should I try to maintain that weight? Why do so many people call me underweight?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Wear this to reassure them
    1427234-1-i-eat-pies.jpg

That's a BMI of around 20, a bit skinny unless you are a girl.

4. Feb 17, 2009 #3
    I love the shirt ( I have to get me one, but where?), and yes I am a girl!

5. Feb 17, 2009 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I tend to think most health scares are stupid.
    If BMI really mattered, the NFL and all marathon runners would be dead.
    As long as you aren't fat enough to have your own tides or skinny enough that they hold you upto a light instead of an x-ray - you are probably OK!

6. Feb 17, 2009 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

IMO, exercise is the most important thing. Being lean is fine (and actually good), but good muscle tone and cardio fitness are very important.

What kind of exercise routine do you have?

7. Feb 17, 2009 #6

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wouldn't worry. You seem to be a perfectly healthy weight. I wouldn't change a thing.

8. Feb 17, 2009 #7
    if you can see your ribs, you are good. if you can see with very good precision, the definition and contours of your ribs, you may be underweight.

9. Feb 17, 2009 #8
    The only exercising I really do is walking across campus, and I park as far away as I can, so I cen get more exercise. Also, at work, I run around some, but that's about it. Or, unless you include shopping as a sport, then I tend to do alot of that!

10. Feb 17, 2009 #9
    i don't think there's a single answer. BMI is pretty useless on individuals and is only valuable as a population statistic. individuals with lots of muscle mass will have a high BMI, yet not suffer from obesity. BMI also doesn't tell you if a person is "skinny fat", which means their weight is pretty normal, but with little muscle mass. the real question is why people are asking you this. are they noticing a change in your body composition? are you shaped different?

as for how much fat you need, as a female, you certainly need more than a male. both males and females can experience endocrine disruption at low body fat %, but this percentage is higher in females. you can look http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/body-composition-numbers.html" [Broken] for a table of percentages, and if you bug lyle on his forum, he can probably even tell you where he got the numbers from, as he is a bit of a nerd on the subject.

if you're getting plenty of exercise, yet losing muscle, then you may be lacking sufficient protein.

oh, and the shirt makes me think obscene thoughts, so it's possible others may read it the same way. just sayin'. but, yes, i do like pie.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  11. Feb 18, 2009 #10
    As for why are people asking me....well I guess they think I look different. My parents see it more than others, but the main thing is my pants don't fit right, they are too big. I think I am at the age where my weight is going to move all around. And yes I am kinda shaped different, but I don't think in a bad way.

I might not be getting the right amount of protein, so that you are probably right on that one, I don't know where to get it from. I try to take a multi vitamin everyday to build up what my body lacks.

Then back to the shirt...I take it you are a male...

12. Feb 18, 2009 #11
    lol, yes, i am male.

protein sources: beef, chicken, fish, eggs, legumes, milk, whey, cheese, and smaller amounts in grain and vegetable sources.

mostly, i am concerned that i think i remember you saying in other threads that you currently have poor sleep, diet, exercise, and are under large amounts of stress. and all of these things together are going to do a number on you. things like exercise and diet may help alleviate some of the stress, and you may even sleep better.

13. Feb 18, 2009 #12

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As said, there is no such thing as a normal weight. Your current weight does not seem to be problematic.

I think your parents are concerned about the change in your weight. You say that your weight fluctuates a lot, I don't think that is normal or good for you. Make sure you have a good meal in the morning, afternoon and evening.

Don't worry too much about the people who call you underweight, I actually think that is a rude comment to make.

14. Feb 18, 2009 #13

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Although as you get older you being to miss it a little :frown:

15. Feb 18, 2009 #14

Xnn

According to the following link 120-133 lbs is optimal for a 5 foot 6 inch female with a small frame.

http://jas.familyfun.go.com/healtht...htInches=6&inches=inches&sex=F&go.x=7&go.y=10

People who smoke cigarettes generally weigh less and might be in the optimal range, but that's the wrong way to go about it.

Here is another optimal weight calculator link:

http://www.hooah4health.com/4You/obw.htm [Broken]

It says within 10% of 130lbs is optimal; that would be 117 to 143. It also states that a person outside of the 10% range should consult with a Doctor.

Personally, I'm in the optimal range by both of these calculators.:smile:

16. Feb 18, 2009 #15
    lol, I figured... :biggrin:

I am vegetarian and lactose intolerent...I did buy some boost (with protein) today, I thought it might help out some, who knows.

I have been trying to get more sleep, and the stress factor...well....it doesn't help when some stupid, immature, neighbor kids decide to put BBQ sauce on my car. Enough said there...lol.

17. Feb 18, 2009 #16
    I'm within the optimal weight range, according to those 'scales'.

I don't smoke, so that's not a problem for me there.

I was talking with my mother today, as I was shopping, and she said we do have smaller frames and "better" weight than most people of our stature. That could be a good reason to my weight, it's hereditary. I can be pretty lucky, I guess. I had to go down another size in pants today, when I was shopping. (down to a size 5, in dress pants). My weight is still the same, just put into different parts of my body...

18. Feb 18, 2009 #17

turbo

Gold Member

If you start exercising with free-weights (nothing extreme), you will tone further, and add muscle while losing fat. A good workout at the end of the day can help you feel more relaxed and prepped for sleep, but prepare to spend more money on clothes. Your weight may actually go up (muscle weighs more than fat) but your dimensions will go down. When I started working out regularly to compensate for a job that was sometimes sedentary, I gained weight and dropped inches in many places. I had to either tighten my belt and have bunched-up pants, or get new pants, and my shirts were tighter across the shoulders and chest. My doctor told me that I could stand to lose a little weight (idiot!) though it was hard to pinch any skin on me at all.

Look at it this way. Serena Williams is husky and muscular and 'way heavy for her height probably, according to the "standards". She isn't fat and she certainly isn't out of shape.

19. Feb 18, 2009 #18
    well, there's certainly tofu, as well as things like beans and rice. as a vegetarian, it would be a good thing for you to do a little dietary research here. most vegetable proteins are not complete on their own and have to be mixed with other sources. soy may be the exception here.

20. Feb 18, 2009 #19
    I do have some free weight (like maybe 5 lbs. each) that I pick up once in a while, not as often as I really should tho. School books are kinda like free weights, lol.

I'm tired of buying new pants, I spent $50 on two pairs today, but they both fit like a glove on my body :biggrin: When that happens, I buy them, no matter the cost. I would look kinda manly if I got too many muscles....Serena is build for an athletic body, it looks good on her.

21. Feb 18, 2009 #20
    it's unlikely you'll look like a man no matter how hard you try. unless you're taking steroids or got PCOS or something, it's very difficult for most women to put on large amounts of muscle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook