What is a healthy weight for me and how can I maintain it?

• Medical
  • Thread starter mcknia07
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weight
In summary: I don't know where to get it from. I try to take a multi vitamin everyday to build up what my body lacks.
mcknia07
Ok, so my topic kinda sounds like a science fair topic.

But anyhow...my parents have been asking me a lot lately if I have been trying to lose weight, the fact is, I haven't. My weight has been staying at about the same weight. (roughly ranges +-5 lbs to my average {120, I'm 5'6"}) My pants don't fit me anymore. and I just bought them about 2 weeks ago. (that's why my parents think I'm trying to lose weight, but I'm kinda just at that age where my weight fluctuates {not fun when having to buy clothes for work that need to fit})

Well, now comes the question, what is a good weight for me? How should I try to maintain that weight? Why do so many people call me underweight?

Biology news on Phys.org
Wear this to reassure them
1427234-1-i-eat-pies.jpg

That's a BMI of around 20, a bit skinny unless you are a girl.

I love the shirt ( I have to get me one, but where?), and yes I am a girl!

I tend to think most health scares are stupid.
If BMI really mattered, the NFL and all marathon runners would be dead.
As long as you aren't fat enough to have your own tides or skinny enough that they hold you upto a light instead of an x-ray - you are probably OK!

mcknia07 said:
Well, now comes the question, what is a good weight for me? How should I try to maintain that weight? Why do so many people call me underweight?

IMO, exercise is the most important thing. Being lean is fine (and actually good), but good muscle tone and cardio fitness are very important.

What kind of exercise routine do you have?

I wouldn't worry. You seem to be a perfectly healthy weight. I wouldn't change a thing.

if you can see your ribs, you are good. if you can see with very good precision, the definition and contours of your ribs, you may be underweight.

berkeman said:
IMO, exercise is the most important thing. Being lean is fine (and actually good), but good muscle tone and cardio fitness are very important.

What kind of exercise routine do you have?

The only exercising I really do is walking across campus, and I park as far away as I can, so I cen get more exercise. Also, at work, I run around some, but that's about it. Or, unless you include shopping as a sport, then I tend to do a lot of that!

i don't think there's a single answer. BMI is pretty useless on individuals and is only valuable as a population statistic. individuals with lots of muscle mass will have a high BMI, yet not suffer from obesity. BMI also doesn't tell you if a person is "skinny fat", which means their weight is pretty normal, but with little muscle mass. the real question is why people are asking you this. are they noticing a change in your body composition? are you shaped different?

as for how much fat you need, as a female, you certainly need more than a male. both males and females can experience endocrine disruption at low body fat %, but this percentage is higher in females. you can look http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/body-composition-numbers.html" [Broken] for a table of percentages, and if you bug lyle on his forum, he can probably even tell you where he got the numbers from, as he is a bit of a nerd on the subject.

if you're getting plenty of exercise, yet losing muscle, then you may be lacking sufficient protein.

oh, and the shirt makes me think obscene thoughts, so it's possible others may read it the same way. just sayin'. but, yes, i do like pie.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for why are people asking me...well I guess they think I look different. My parents see it more than others, but the main thing is my pants don't fit right, they are too big. I think I am at the age where my weight is going to move all around. And yes I am kinda shaped different, but I don't think in a bad way.

I might not be getting the right amount of protein, so that you are probably right on that one, I don't know where to get it from. I try to take a multi vitamin everyday to build up what my body lacks.

Then back to the shirt...I take it you are a male...

mcknia07 said:
As for why are people asking me...well I guess they think I look different. My parents see it more than others, but the main thing is my pants don't fit right, they are too big. I think I am at the age where my weight is going to move all around. And yes I am kinda shaped different, but I don't think in a bad way.

I might not be getting the right amount of protein, so that you are probably right on that one, I don't know where to get it from. I try to take a multi vitamin everyday to build up what my body lacks.

Then back to the shirt...I take it you are a male...

lol, yes, i am male.

protein sources: beef, chicken, fish, eggs, legumes, milk, whey, cheese, and smaller amounts in grain and vegetable sources.

mostly, i am concerned that i think i remember you saying in other threads that you currently have poor sleep, diet, exercise, and are under large amounts of stress. and all of these things together are going to do a number on you. things like exercise and diet may help alleviate some of the stress, and you may even sleep better.

As said, there is no such thing as a normal weight. Your current weight does not seem to be problematic.

I think your parents are concerned about the change in your weight. You say that your weight fluctuates a lot, I don't think that is normal or good for you. Make sure you have a good meal in the morning, afternoon and evening.

Don't worry too much about the people who call you underweight, I actually think that is a rude comment to make.

Monique said:
Don't worry too much about the people who call you underweight, I actually think that is a rude comment to make.
Although as you get older you being to miss it a little :frown:

According to the following link 120-133 lbs is optimal for a 5 foot 6 inch female with a small frame.

http://jas.familyfun.go.com/healtht...htInches=6&inches=inches&sex=F&go.x=7&go.y=10

People who smoke cigarettes generally weigh less and might be in the optimal range, but that's the wrong way to go about it.

Here is another optimal weight calculator link:

http://www.hooah4health.com/4You/obw.htm [Broken]

It says within 10% of 130lbs is optimal; that would be 117 to 143. It also states that a person outside of the 10% range should consult with a Doctor.

Personally, I'm in the optimal range by both of these calculators.:smile:

Proton Soup said:
lol, yes, i am male.

protein sources: beef, chicken, fish, eggs, legumes, milk, whey, cheese, and smaller amounts in grain and vegetable sources.

mostly, i am concerned that i think i remember you saying in other threads that you currently have poor sleep, diet, exercise, and are under large amounts of stress. and all of these things together are going to do a number on you. things like exercise and diet may help alleviate some of the stress, and you may even sleep better.

lol, I figured... :biggrin:

I am vegetarian and lactose intolerent...I did buy some boost (with protein) today, I thought it might help out some, who knows.

I have been trying to get more sleep, and the stress factor...well...it doesn't help when some stupid, immature, neighbor kids decide to put BBQ sauce on my car. Enough said there...lol.

Xnn said:
According to the following link 120-133 lbs is optimal for a 5 foot 6 inch female with a small frame.

http://jas.familyfun.go.com/healtht...htInches=6&inches=inches&sex=F&go.x=7&go.y=10

People who smoke cigarettes generally weigh less and might be in the optimal range, but that's the wrong way to go about it.

Here is another optimal weight calculator link:

http://www.hooah4health.com/4You/obw.htm [Broken]

It says within 10% of 130lbs is optimal; that would be 117 to 143. It also states that a person outside of the 10% range should consult with a Doctor.

Personally, I'm in the optimal range by both of these calculators.:smile:

I'm within the optimal weight range, according to those 'scales'.

I don't smoke, so that's not a problem for me there.

I was talking with my mother today, as I was shopping, and she said we do have smaller frames and "better" weight than most people of our stature. That could be a good reason to my weight, it's hereditary. I can be pretty lucky, I guess. I had to go down another size in pants today, when I was shopping. (down to a size 5, in dress pants). My weight is still the same, just put into different parts of my body...

If you start exercising with free-weights (nothing extreme), you will tone further, and add muscle while losing fat. A good workout at the end of the day can help you feel more relaxed and prepped for sleep, but prepare to spend more money on clothes. Your weight may actually go up (muscle weighs more than fat) but your dimensions will go down. When I started working out regularly to compensate for a job that was sometimes sedentary, I gained weight and dropped inches in many places. I had to either tighten my belt and have bunched-up pants, or get new pants, and my shirts were tighter across the shoulders and chest. My doctor told me that I could stand to lose a little weight (idiot!) though it was hard to pinch any skin on me at all.

Look at it this way. Serena Williams is husky and muscular and 'way heavy for her height probably, according to the "standards". She isn't fat and she certainly isn't out of shape.

mcknia07 said:
lol, I figured... :biggrin:

I am vegetarian and lactose intolerent...I did buy some boost (with protein) today, I thought it might help out some, who knows.

I have been trying to get more sleep, and the stress factor...well...it doesn't help when some stupid, immature, neighbor kids decide to put BBQ sauce on my car. Enough said there...lol.

well, there's certainly tofu, as well as things like beans and rice. as a vegetarian, it would be a good thing for you to do a little dietary research here. most vegetable proteins are not complete on their own and have to be mixed with other sources. soy may be the exception here.

turbo-1 said:
If you start exercising with free-weights (nothing extreme), you will tone further, and add muscle while losing fat. A good workout at the end of the day can help you feel more relaxed and prepped for sleep, but prepare to spend more money on clothes. Your weight may actually go up (muscle weighs more than fat) but your dimensions will go down. When I started working out regularly to compensate for a job that was sometimes sedentary, I gained weight and dropped inches in many places. I had to either tighten my belt and have bunched-up pants, or get new pants, and my shirts were tighter across the shoulders and chest. My doctor told me that I could stand to lose a little weight (idiot!) though it was hard to pinch any skin on me at all.

Look at it this way. Serena Williams is husky and muscular and 'way heavy for her height probably, according to the "standards". She isn't fat and she certainly isn't out of shape.

I do have some free weight (like maybe 5 lbs. each) that I pick up once in a while, not as often as I really should tho. School books are kinda like free weights, lol.

I'm tired of buying new pants, I spent $50 on two pairs today, but they both fit like a glove on my body :biggrin: When that happens, I buy them, no matter the cost. I would look kinda manly if I got too many muscles...Serena is build for an athletic body, it looks good on her.

it's unlikely you'll look like a man no matter how hard you try. unless you're taking steroids or got PCOS or something, it's very difficult for most women to put on large amounts of muscle.

mcknia07 said:
I do have some free weight (like maybe 5 lbs. each) that I pick up once in a while, not as often as I really should tho. School books are kinda like free weights, lol.

I'm tired of buying new pants, I spent $50 on two pairs today, but they both fit like a glove on my body :biggrin: When that happens, I buy them, no matter the cost. I would look kinda manly if I got too many muscles...Serena is build for an athletic body, it looks good on her.
When I was working out regularly, I had to get checked out by senior Red Cross blood-donation staff whenever I donated blood because my "pulse rate was too low". What is it with these people? It always delayed me with respect to my other crew members, and I was the leanest and fittest of them.

Proton Soup said:
it's unlikely you'll look like a man no matter how hard you try. unless you're taking steroids or got PCOS or something, it's very difficult for most women to put on large amounts of muscle.

Well that's good, I won't be taking stuff to get me looking like a man. I would prefer to look like a lady! I don't take anything that's not good for my body. Just some vitamins.

Proton Soup said:
well, there's certainly tofu, as well as things like beans and rice. as a vegetarian, it would be a good thing for you to do a little dietary research here. most vegetable proteins are not complete on their own and have to be mixed with other sources. soy may be the exception here.

And why might proteins need to be complete (for consumption by adults)?

Can you find any peer reviewed scientific study which actually demonstrates that "incomplete" vegetable proteins are not healthy or need to be supplemented?

Xnn said:

Can you find any peer reviewed scientific study which actually demonstrates that "incomplete" vegetable proteins are not healthy or need to be supplemented?

i probably can, but I'm not going to devote a bunch of time to it, as this is pretty much an accepted fact for a long time now.

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2000/300_soy.html
Soy Benefits

Soy protein products can be good substitutes for animal products because, unlike some other beans, soy offers a "complete" protein profile. Soybeans contain all the amino acids essential to human nutrition, which must be supplied in the diet because they cannot be synthesized by the human body. Soy protein products can replace animal-based foods--which also have complete proteins but tend to contain more fat, especially saturated fat--without requiring major adjustments elsewhere in the diet.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002467.htm
Complete proteins contain all nine essential amino acids. Complete proteins are found in animal foods such as meat, fish, poultry, eggs, milk, and milk products such as yogurt and cheese. Soybeans are the only plant protein considered to be a complete protein.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complete_protein
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_amino_acid

Xnn said:

Completeness depends on context. One needs a certain amount of each type. Thus one must have at least one source that is a nontrivial source of each type, and consume a mixture that yields the minimum of each type. If one is limited to one source it must be nontrivial in all types. Most are not limited to one source, no source needs be complete if the mixture is. If ones protein intake is minimal it needs to be very balanced. Most do not have minimal intake so less balance is required. For example if your only source of protein were potatoes and your protein was minimal you would be deficient. Ifyour only source of protein were potatoes and your protein was not minimal you would not be deficient. If you had many sources of protein including potatoes and your protein were minimal you would be not be deficient.

I have found that I like like the Boost with protein. I use it more as a "boost" to keep up my energy and nutrition. Plus, it tastes like a milk shake.

You should post pictures. Lots. Then we can really tell.

Seriously though. Your mom is worried about you. She doesn't know that you're not smoking or trying to barf off the weight, so she's asking. You know you're fine, and your weight is fine. Don't overreact by putting too much into your mother's concerns or by trying to "fix something that ain't broke". (Back to posting those pix ... we'll tell you how ain't broke you are... ;-) )

No, no pics, lol. I can say that if any of you know junior's sizes...I'm anywhere from a 3-7, just depends on who makes them.

What is a healthy weight for me?

A healthy weight for an individual depends on various factors such as height, body composition, and overall health. You can determine your healthy weight by calculating your body mass index (BMI), which takes into account your height and weight. A BMI between 18.5 and 24.9 is considered to be within the healthy weight range.

How can I maintain a healthy weight?

Maintaining a healthy weight involves a combination of a balanced diet and regular physical activity. It is important to focus on eating whole, nutrient-dense foods such as fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and whole grains. Avoid crash diets and extreme calorie restriction, as these can be harmful to your health in the long run. Additionally, incorporating regular exercise into your routine can help you maintain a healthy weight.

What is the best way to lose weight?

The best way to lose weight is through a combination of a healthy, balanced diet and regular exercise. Crash diets or extreme calorie restriction can lead to short-term weight loss, but they are not sustainable or healthy in the long run. It is important to focus on making realistic and sustainable lifestyle changes rather than quick fixes.

Can genetics affect my weight?

Yes, genetics can play a role in determining an individual's weight. However, it is important to note that genetics are not the only factor and they do not determine an individual's destiny. Adopting healthy habits and making lifestyle changes can help individuals maintain a healthy weight, despite their genetic predispositions.

How often should I weigh myself?

The frequency of weighing oneself can vary depending on an individual's goals and preferences. Some people prefer to weigh themselves daily, while others may choose to do it weekly or monthly. It is important to keep in mind that weight can fluctuate due to various factors such as hydration levels and muscle mass, so it is more important to focus on overall health and body composition rather than just the number on the scale.