1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weighted average

1. Oct 30, 2007 #1
    Consider a velocity which is a function of position r, which does not vary linearly with time.

Consider a body moving with this varying velocity between distance r1 to r2.

Let us define the average velocity between r1 and r2 as (r2-r1)/time taken to travel between r2 and r1.

I assumed the average would be found by:

Integral[ v(r) dr {r2, r1}] / Integral [dr {r2, r1}]

But this formula does not seem to work. Are there any special cases where this formula is not sufficient?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2007 #2

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You need the integral over time to get the average velocity.

4. Oct 30, 2007 #3
    But time is a function of position, so there does not seem any reason why one could not use the position as an equivalent weight?

So you suggest:

Integral[v dt] / Integral[dt]

But
    r(t) => dr/dt = 1/f'
    => dt = f' dr

Hence one could write Integral[v f' dr] / Integral[f' dr]

But dr/dt = v
    hence f' = 1/v
    => vbar = Integral[dr] / Integral[dr /v]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
  5. Oct 30, 2007 #4

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

The two integrals (1) and (2) are identical. Sorry, I don't get your point now...?

6. Oct 31, 2007 #5
    Well Meir felt you couldn't take the weighted average by integrating over position, but I am trying to prove that you can by virtue of the fact that his suggestion, of integrating over time, can be written as an integral over position.

7. Oct 31, 2007 #6

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Ok. But Meir was responding to this in your original post:

"Integral[ v(r) dr {r2, r1}] / Integral [dr {r2, r1}]"

which is not going to give average velocity.

But "vbar = Integral[dr] / Integral[dr /v]" in your 3rd post will give average velocity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?