Ferris Wheel Physics: Solving for Weightlessness Velocity

• Thread starter brendan3eb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of weightlessness on a ferris wheel and how it is achieved. The person asking the question is trying to calculate the necessary velocity for a person to feel weightless at the top of a ferris wheel with a 15-m diameter. The solution is to calculate the speed at which the centripetal acceleration equals the acceleration due to gravity.
brendan3eb
I have a problem asking me what velocity must be achieved so that a person on at the top of a ferris wheel with a 15-m diameter can feel weightless. I am wondering how you define weightless. At first I tried setting mg=0, but I couldn't get anywhere that way.

Physics news on Phys.org
At the top of the ferris wheel, a person is weightless when the only source of centripetal force (the inwards force) is gravity. For that brief moment, the person is in freefall.

Weightlessness is simply where your acceleration exactly matches the local acceleration due to gravity.

Right, so putting that together, you need to calculate the speed at which the centripetal acceleration equals g.

Is this a homework problem...?

1. What is weightlessness?

Weightlessness, also known as microgravity, is the state in which an object or person experiences a feeling of weightlessness due to the absence of gravity or the equal acceleration of gravity on all sides.

2. How is weightlessness achieved?

Weightlessness can be achieved through a few different methods, including freefall, spaceflight, and parabolic flight. In all of these methods, the sensation of weightlessness is created by the object or person being in a state of constant acceleration, cancelling out the effects of gravity.

3. Is there really no gravity in space?

Contrary to popular belief, there is still gravity in space. However, the force of gravity is much weaker in space due to the vast distances between objects and the lack of a large celestial body nearby. This is what creates the sensation of weightlessness for astronauts in orbit.

4. How does weightlessness affect the human body?

Extended periods of weightlessness can have various effects on the human body, including fluid redistribution, loss of bone and muscle mass, and changes in cardiovascular function. Astronauts must undergo rigorous physical training before and during spaceflight to counteract these effects.

5. Can objects still have weight in a weightless environment?

Yes, objects can still have weight in a weightless environment. Weight is a measure of the force of gravity on an object, so even in the absence of gravity, objects still have mass and therefore still have weight. However, the sensation of weightlessness is created when the forces of gravity and acceleration are balanced, giving the illusion of weightlessness.