Weights of a linear estimator

• Thread starter purplebird
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linear
In summary: Your Name]In summary, to find W(i) for the given linear estimator, we can use the equation W(i) = R^{}-1b, where b(i)= E(\mu(i) X(i)) and R(i) = E(X(i)X(j)). This results in W(i) = u/(u^2 + \sigma(i)^2\delta(i,j)). To minimize E[(u-\mu)^2], we need to find the values of W(i) such that the derivative of the expression with respect to each W(i) is equal to 0.
purplebird

Homework Statement

Given
X(i) = u + e(i) i = 1,2,...N
such that e(i)s are statistically independent and u is a parameter
mean of e(i) = 0
and variance = [tex]\sigma(i)[/tex]^2

Find W(i) such that the linear estimator

[tex]\mu[/tex] = [tex]\sum[/tex]W(i)X(i) for i = 1 to N

has

mean value of [tex]\mu[/tex]= u

and E[(u- [tex]\mu[/tex])^2 is a minimum

The Attempt at a Solution

For a linear estimator:

W(i) = R[tex]^{}-1[/tex]b

where b(i)= E([tex]\mu[/tex](i) X(i)) and R(i) = E(X(i)X(j))

I do not know how to proceed beyond this. Thanks for your help

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear fellow scientist,

Thank you for your post. It seems like you are on the right track with your attempt at a solution. To continue, we can use the given information to calculate the values of b(i) and R(i).

Since the mean of e(i) is 0, we can see that b(i) = uE(X(i)) = u. Similarly, using the definition of variance, we can calculate R(i) as:

R(i) = E(X(i)X(j)) = E[(u+e(i))(u+e(j))] = E(u^2 + ue(i) + ue(j) + e(i)e(j)) = u^2 + \sigma(i)^2\delta(i,j)

where \delta(i,j) is the Kronecker delta function which is 1 when i=j and 0 otherwise.

Now, substituting the values of b(i) and R(i) into the equation for W(i), we get:

W(i) = (u^2 + \sigma(i)^2\delta(i,j))^-1u

= u/(u^2 + \sigma(i)^2\delta(i,j))

Finally, to minimize E[(u-\mu)^2], we need to find the values of W(i) such that the derivative of the expression with respect to each W(i) is equal to 0. This will give us the minimum value of the expression. I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

1. What is a linear estimator?

A linear estimator is a statistical method that is used to estimate the relationship between two or more variables. It assumes that the relationship between the variables is linear, meaning that the change in one variable is directly proportional to the change in the other variable.

2. How are weights determined in a linear estimator?

The weights in a linear estimator are determined through a process called least squares estimation. This involves minimizing the sum of the squared differences between the observed data points and the predicted values from the linear model. The weights are then calculated based on the least squares solution.

3. What is the significance of weights in a linear estimator?

The weights in a linear estimator represent the strength of the relationship between the variables. Higher weights indicate a stronger relationship, while lower weights indicate a weaker relationship. These weights are important in interpreting the results of a linear estimator and determining the significance of the relationship between the variables.

4. How do outliers affect the weights in a linear estimator?

Outliers, or extreme values in the data, can have a significant impact on the weights in a linear estimator. They can pull the regression line towards them, resulting in a larger weight and a stronger influence on the relationship between the variables. Therefore, it is important to identify and address outliers in the data before performing a linear estimation.

5. Can the weights in a linear estimator be negative?

Yes, the weights in a linear estimator can be negative. This indicates an inverse relationship between the variables, where an increase in one variable leads to a decrease in the other variable. However, the magnitude of the weight is more important than its sign in determining the strength of the relationship between the variables.