1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weights, pulley's and a spring

1. Mar 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Am I heading in the right direction?
    If so i am lost now in finding the missing values for the unknown weights, a little nudge would be great. The work that i have attached is CLEANED up so it can be readable.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2009 #2
    I finally was able to complete this problem.
    First i was going in the wrong direction using unit vectors. I found out that it was a simple force vector problem. Bottom line i was over thing and making it out to be more complicated then it really was, but it was comforting to find out that i was not the only one :-) But anyway I am going to attached my solution. The professor did not use angles in his solution as i did he just used the properties of find the angle sine=opp/hyp and cos=adj/hyp. I used tan to find the angles as you can see. The one that that confuses me is how precise is precise?
    Thank you

I am new on here and i see that this would be a good place for practice.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook