Weinberg Lectures on QM (2013 ed.), Equation 3.6.18

In summary, this is about how Galileo invariance affects the zeroing of boost generator commutators. Two boosts, if not in the same direction, do not commute under Lorentz invariance. However, in 3.6.18 when one actually does the expansion of the multiplication of the two infinitesimal boosts in the constraint ##U(v)U(v') = U(v+v')##, the last factor is in fact ##O(v^2)##, and can thus be neglected, yielding 0 and validating the constraint. The value of the commutator is not a direct consequence, though.
jouvelot
Hi,

I don't get how one goes from 3.6.17 to 3.6.18 on Page 80 (Galilean invariance) regarding the zeroing of boost generator commutators. I do get that this is a special case of the Lorentz invariance (which I understand), but this particular step eludes me.

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is about Galileo invariance. In the case of Lorentz invariance two boosts, if not in the same direction, do NOT commute!

Here you have
$$\hat{U}(\vec{v}) \hat{U}(\vec{v}')=\hat{U}(\vec{v}) \hat{U}(\vec{v}')=\hat{U}(\vec{v}+\vec{v}')$$
for all ##\vec{v} \in \mathbb{R}^3##. Expanding
$$\hat{U}(\vec{v})=\exp(-\mathrm{i} \vec{v} \cdot \hat{\vec{K}})$$
of both transformations up to 1st order in ##\vec{v}## you get
$$[\hat{K}_i,\hat{K}_j]=0.$$

Hi,

Thanks for your fast relay :)

Indeed, I get this, but if you actually try to use infinitesimal definitions of $$U(v)$$ as $$1 -ivK + O(v^2),$$ as suggested in Weinberg's book, and do the very simple math in $$U(v)U(v') = U(v+v'),$$I don't see how this forces the commutator to become 0.

Thanks.

What you use is the following

$$U(\vec{v})U(\vec{v}^\prime) =U(\vec{v}+\vec{v}^\prime) = U(\vec{v}^\prime+\vec{v}) = U(\vec{v}^\prime)U(\vec{v})$$

In other words, Galilei boosts commute.

You can write this as ##\left[ U(\vec{v}), U(\vec{v}^\prime)\right] = 0##.
By expanding ##U(\vec{v}) = \mathbf{1}-i\vec{v}\cdot \vec{K} + O(v^2)## and inserting that into the commutator you should get there.

Hi,

I see. Usually, for instance with Equation 3.6.19, you can actually get the value of the commutator as a consequence of replacing the infinitesimal unitary operator in the invariance constraint (Equation 3.6.16).

In 3.6.18, when one actually does the expansion of the multiplication of the two infinitesimal boosts in the constraint ##U(v)U(v') = U(v+v')##, the last factor is in fact ##O(v^2)##, and can thus be neglected, yielding 0 and validating the constraint. The value of the commutator is not a direct consequence, though.

Thanks.

I don't quite get what you're telling. But let me show what I did.

$$
\begin{align*}
0 &= [U(\vec{v}),U(\vec{v}^\prime)]\\
&= \left[ \mathbf{1}-i\left( \vec{v}+\vec{v}^\prime\right) \cdot\vec{K} - \left(\vec{v}\cdot \vec{K}\right) \left(\vec{v}^\prime\cdot \vec{K}\right) + \ldots \right]\\ &- \left[ \mathbf{1}-i\left( \vec{v}+\vec{v}^\prime\right) \cdot\vec{K} - \left(\vec{v}^\prime\cdot \vec{K}\right) \left(\vec{v}\cdot \vec{K}\right) + \ldots \right]\\
&= \sum_{i,j}v_iv_j^\prime [K_i,K_j]
\end{align*}
$$

Since this holds for all vectors ##\vec{v}## and ##\vec{v}^\prime## it follows that the commutators should vanish.

Likes vanhees71
Yes, because you know that the commutator of two general U(v) translations is 0 and subsequently proved that this implies the generators have to commute.

What I was doing was simply replacing ##U(v)## and ##U(v')## in the constraint $$U(v)U(v') = U(v+v')$$ with their infinitesimal definitions, hoping to get that this constraint is true only if a particular condition is verified, which I hoped would be the fact that ##[K,K'] = 0##. But this doesn't work that way here, it seems, contrarily to the other cases that appear before in the book.

Thanks a lot for for explanation and the time taken :)

1. What is Equation 3.6.18 in the Weinberg Lectures on QM (2013 ed.) and what does it represent?

Equation 3.6.18 in the Weinberg Lectures on QM (2013 ed.) is known as the "Schrödinger equation" and it represents the fundamental equation of motion in quantum mechanics. It describes how the quantum state of a physical system changes with time.

2. How is Equation 3.6.18 derived in the Weinberg Lectures on QM (2013 ed.)?

Equation 3.6.18 is derived from the Hamiltonian operator, which represents the total energy of a quantum system. It is derived using the principles of quantum mechanics, such as the Schrödinger equation and the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.

3. What is the significance of Equation 3.6.18 in quantum mechanics?

Equation 3.6.18 is significant because it allows us to mathematically describe the behavior of quantum systems, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It is a crucial tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of these systems.

4. Can Equation 3.6.18 be applied to all quantum systems?

Yes, Equation 3.6.18 can be applied to all quantum systems, regardless of their size or complexity. However, it may need to be modified for certain systems, such as those with relativistic effects.

5. How does Equation 3.6.18 differ from classical mechanics equations?

Equation 3.6.18 differs from classical mechanics equations in that it describes the behavior of particles on a microscopic scale, where classical mechanics equations fail to accurately predict their behavior. It also takes into account the wave-like nature of particles, which is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics.