1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weinberg QFT p.65-66

1. Oct 6, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    He says "choose the states with standard momentum k to be orthonormal", does he mean for example state with momentum (0,0,0,M1) and with momentum (0,0,0,M2) to be orthogonal or states with the same k^2 to be orthogonal if they have different k?
    Also where he calculates in the next page, the "scalar product for [states of] arbitrary momenta" why is k' defined there the "same" as that in formula (2.5.12)? I dont get it...

2. Relevant equations
    in the book...

3. The attempt at a solution
    if the states of one given k^2 are orthogonal among each other then I dont get why k' as defined in page 66 could have the same square as k (that comes from p)... otherwise I dont get why we expect k' to be of the form of a "standard momentum" according to the way it is defined

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted