1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weinberg's QFT text

1. Feb 13, 2004 #1
    Hi. I am new to this discussion group, so forgive me if this is not the appropriate forum for this question. A friend of mine and I are going through the first volume of Weinberg's QFT trilogy. My question regards the first problem at the end of chapter two. I think I completely understand the procedure for computing a Lorentz transformed positive definite spin state, but I can't seem to compute the little group element corresponding to the Lorentz transformation given in this problem. The matrix multiplication is very lengthy and I really get caught up in the algebra. Is there an easier way to compute the little group matrix than his formula (W = L^(-1)(lambda*p)*Lambda*L(p))? I would like to hear from someone who has done this problem already and, if possible to see their solution. The little group for mass positive definite spin states is the 3-d rotation group and I know the rotation for this particular problem is about the x1 axis, but the algebra is ridiculous. I have spent a lot of time on this problem and would greatly appreciate some help. Thanks.
    Merius

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2004 #2

jeff

Science Advisor

It's not so bad. Since Λ is a boost along the z-axis, it's only non-vanishing elements are

Λ11 = Λ22
    Λ33 = Λ00
    Λ03 = Λ30.

Since p is in the y-direction, the only non-vanishing elements of L(p) are

L11 = L33
    L22
    L02 = L20
    L00.

One way to start off is by writing the little group element as

W(Λ,p) = L-1(Λp)Q(p)

where Q(p) ≡ ΛL(p) and note that the above immediately yields

Q1ν = Λ11L1ν
    Q2ν = Λ22L2ν
    Q0ν = Λ00L0ν + Λ03L3ν
    Q3ν = Λ30L0ν + Λ33L3ν.

Noting that Λ11 = Λ22 = L11 = L33 = 1 simplifies things even further. Finally, L-1(Λp) = L(p') in which p'i = -Λiνpν.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?