1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weir flow

1. Oct 14, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

ok i have a problem, i did a experiment to find the weir flow. Using q= cd 2/3 b root (2g) x h^(3/2)

I measured b the width of the weir and the height. i was asked to find out the discharge coefficient cd. what i did was add weight to an unknow mass. so the original mass mass flow was x then we added 2.5kg each time. so to find to the flow q i do x (unknow mass) /time. I know have two unknow variables x and cd, where cd isnt constant. so i cant equate two readings. is cd was constant then u could.

2. Relevant equations
    q= cd 2/3 b root (2g) x h^(3/2)

3. The attempt at a solution

ive given up

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2008 #2

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are not coefficients constants?

4. Oct 16, 2008 #3
    i got it now, the coefficients aren't constant. the coefficient for the rectanglular flow is cd=0.611 +h/z. so i can get the mass. and for the triangular weir cd is 0.58. but because my results are wrong. i cant sub these values into the equation to get the original flow, then the mass.

5. Oct 16, 2008 #4

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's been a long time since I worked these kinds of problems. From my old text it mentions that (note K=cd):
    Essentials of Engineering Fluid Mechanics by Reuben M. Olson

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?