Finding Weir Flow with Unknown Variables

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with finding the discharge coefficient (cd) for a weir flow experiment. The equation q= cd 2/3 b root (2g) x h^(3/2) is used, with b and h being measured. However, there are two unknown variables, x and cd, and cd is not constant. The coefficients for rectangular and triangular weirs are given, but the results are incorrect. The text suggests using the form K=0.611 + 0.075 H/Z for the coefficient.
sharp910sh

Homework Statement

ok i have a problem, i did a experiment to find the weir flow. Using q= cd 2/3 b root (2g) x h^(3/2)

I measured b the width of the weir and the height. i was asked to find out the discharge coefficient cd. what i did was add weight to an unknow mass. so the original mass mass flow was x then we added 2.5kg each time. so to find to the flow q i do x (unknow mass) /time. I know have two unknow variables x and cd, where cd isn't constant. so i can't equate two readings. is cd was constant then u could.

Homework Equations

q= cd 2/3 b root (2g) x h^(3/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

ive given up

Physics news on Phys.org
Are not coefficients constants?

i got it now, the coefficients aren't constant. the coefficient for the rectanglular flow is cd=0.611 +h/z. so i can get the mass. and for the triangular weir cd is 0.58. but because my results are wrong. i can't sub these values into the equation to get the original flow, then the mass.

It's been a long time since I worked these kinds of problems. From my old text it mentions that (note K=cd):
Numerous values for K (or a similar coefficient) have been published in hydraulic liteature, and a rational analysis by von Mises indicated K to have the form
K=0.611 + 0.075 H/Z
Essentials of Engineering Fluid Mechanics by Reuben M. Olson

1. What is "Weir Flow" and why is it important to find it?

"Weir Flow" refers to the amount of water flowing over a dam or weir. It is important to find it because it allows us to better understand and manage water resources, such as for hydroelectric power generation or irrigation purposes.

2. What are some common unknown variables that can affect Weir Flow?

Some common unknown variables that can affect Weir Flow include changes in water level, changes in upstream or downstream flow, and variations in weir geometry.

3. How do scientists determine Weir Flow with unknown variables?

Scientists use a variety of methods to determine Weir Flow with unknown variables, such as using mathematical models, conducting field measurements, and analyzing historical data.

4. What are some challenges in finding Weir Flow with unknown variables?

Some challenges in finding Weir Flow with unknown variables include the complexity of natural systems, difficulty in obtaining accurate data, and the need to account for various factors that can affect Weir Flow.

5. How can the knowledge of Weir Flow with unknown variables be applied in real-world situations?

The knowledge of Weir Flow with unknown variables can be applied in various real-world situations, such as in water resource management, flood control, and designing and operating hydroelectric power plants. It can also help in predicting and mitigating the effects of extreme weather events on water systems.