Weird Boundary Conditions?

In summary, the given equation is a second order differential equation with a boundary condition. The boundary condition helps to narrow down the possible solutions for the equation, and the final result includes a constant term 1/H from the boundary condition.
juice34

Homework Statement

d20/de2+1=0 and the boundry condition is -d0/de(evaluated at e=+/- 1)=+/-H0(evaluated at +/-1). The final result yields 0(e)=(1/2)(1-e2)+1/H. What i don't understand is how to use this boundary condition and where the 1/H comes from.

The Attempt at a Solution

When i just have a B.C. of e=+/-1(0=0(zero)), I get 0=(1/2)(1-e2)). My teacher this semester really does not explain anything so i would appreciate your guy's help with this class. IT IS A NIGHTMARE!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your post. It appears that you are trying to solve a differential equation with a boundary condition. Let's break down the equation and boundary condition to better understand them.

The first part of the equation, d20/de2+1=0, is a second order differential equation. This means that the highest derivative in the equation is a second derivative. In order to solve this type of equation, you will need two boundary conditions.

The boundary condition given is -d0/de(evaluated at e=+/- 1)=+/-H0(evaluated at +/-1). This means that when e is equal to positive or negative 1, the first derivative of 0 should be equal to positive or negative H0, respectively. This is important because it helps to narrow down the possible solutions for the differential equation.

Now, let's look at the final result, 0(e)=(1/2)(1-e2)+1/H. This is the solution to the differential equation, where 0(e) represents the function that satisfies the equation. The term 1/H comes from the boundary condition. When you integrate the differential equation, you will get a constant of integration, which can be represented as 1/H.

I hope this helps to clarify the equation and boundary condition for you. If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with your studies!

1. What are boundary conditions in science?

Boundary conditions refer to the set of conditions that must be satisfied at the boundaries or edges of a system or experiment. These conditions are used to define the behavior of the system or experiment and can greatly affect the results and outcomes.

2. What is considered a weird boundary condition?

A weird boundary condition is one that is unexpected or unconventional. It may not fit into the standard set of conditions or assumptions for a particular system or experiment and may require alternative approaches or adjustments to account for its effects.

3. Why are weird boundary conditions important in science?

Weird boundary conditions are important because they can greatly impact the results and conclusions of scientific experiments. They may reveal new information or unexpected behavior of a system, leading to new discoveries and advancements in science. Additionally, understanding and accounting for weird boundary conditions can improve the accuracy and validity of scientific studies.

4. How do scientists deal with weird boundary conditions?

Scientists deal with weird boundary conditions by first identifying and acknowledging them. Then, they may use mathematical or computational models to simulate and study the effects of these conditions. They may also design experiments specifically to test and understand the behavior of a system under these conditions.

5. Can weird boundary conditions be controlled or eliminated?

In some cases, scientists may be able to control or eliminate weird boundary conditions by carefully designing and controlling the environment or parameters of an experiment. However, in many cases, these conditions are inherent to the system and must be accounted for and understood in order to accurately interpret the results.