1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weird Depth Problem

1. Sep 23, 2007 #1
    I've looked everywhere to try to solve this problem and I can't find anything. It is:

A conical tank (with vertex down) is 10 feet across the top and 12 feet deep. If water is flowing into the tank at a rateof 10 cubic feet per minute, find the rate of change of the depth of the water when the water is 8 feet deep.

Thanks for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2007 #2
    this is a pretty easy related rates problem

4. Sep 23, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why would you consider that weird? In general, if you can find a formula for volume as a function of height, V(h), then, by the chain rule, dV/dt= (dV/dh) dh/dt. You are given dV/dt and asked to find dh/dt. You need to be able to calculate dV/dh. Do you know (or can you look up) the formula for volume of a cone in terms of radius and height? Here you are told that the tank itself has height 12 feet and radius 5 feet. Do you see that any "cone of water" contained by that tank will have h/r= 12/5?

5. Sep 24, 2007 #4
    sorry, i just started rates on friday

6. Sep 24, 2007 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Good! Then you should know exactly how to do this!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?