Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Weird Depth Problem

1. Sep 23, 2007 #1
    I've looked everywhere to try to solve this problem and I can't find anything. It is:

A conical tank (with vertex down) is 10 feet across the top and 12 feet deep. If water is flowing into the tank at a rateof 10 cubic feet per minute, find the rate of change of the depth of the water when the water is 8 feet deep.

Thanks for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2007 #2
    this is a pretty easy related rates problem

4. Sep 23, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Why would you consider that weird? In general, if you can find a formula for volume as a function of height, V(h), then, by the chain rule, dV/dt= (dV/dh) dh/dt. You are given dV/dt and asked to find dh/dt. You need to be able to calculate dV/dh. Do you know (or can you look up) the formula for volume of a cone in terms of radius and height? Here you are told that the tank itself has height 12 feet and radius 5 feet. Do you see that any "cone of water" contained by that tank will have h/r= 12/5?

5. Sep 24, 2007 #4
    sorry, i just started rates on friday

6. Sep 24, 2007 #5

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Good! Then you should know exactly how to do this!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook