Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weird derivative conflict

1. Sep 7, 2004 #1
    I am having a conflict with two different ways of finding a derivative.
    Here is the function:
    y=10*sinpi(.01x-2.00t)

Yes, that pi is after sin, but not in the paranthesis. This is how the prof gave it to us. This may be my problem, how I am treating the pi. I figure it was factored out of the parenthesis. So, to find the partial derivative WRT t by hand I do this:

y=10*sin(.01pi*x - 2.00pi*t) I multiplied the pi into the ()
    dy/dt = -2.00pi*10*cos(.01pi*x - 2.00pi*t) used the chain rule
    dy/dt = -20pi*cos(.01pi*x - 2.00pi*t) final result

That is my result. I check this in Matlab by entering the following:

>> syms x t
    >> diff(10*sin(pi*.01*x-pi*2*t),t)
    ans =
    -20*cos(1/100*pi*x-2*pi*t)*pi

So with that I am happy. Now the tricky question.
    If I enter this same thing to my TI-89, I get:
    -62.8319*cos(2pi*t - .031416*x)

Now...it just hit me that you can transpose the items inside the paranthesis of cosine, and it is the same result. Ok, duh. I don't want to delete everything I just typed. My next question...

Am I treating the pi correctly to begin with? Is it correct to multiply it into the () like that? If not, what should I do with it? Is there an easier way?
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2004 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can certainly multiply it out - it's just the distributive property of numbers.

4. Sep 8, 2004 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

However, it is simpler just to treat [itex]\pi[/itex] as a multiplier:

The derivative of sin x is cos x so the derivative of [itex] sin(\pi x)[/itex] is [itex]cos(\pi x)[/itex] times the derivative of [itex]\pi x[/itex] (that's the "chain" rule) which is just [itex]\pi[/itex]: the derivative of [itex] sin(\pi x)[/itex] is [itex]\pi cos(\pi x)[/itex].

The partial derivative of [itex]sin(\pi(0.01x- 2.00t))[/itex], with respect to t, is just that times the derivative of 0.01x- 2.00t with respect to t: [itex]-2.00\pi cos(\pi (0.01x- 2.00t)[/itex].

Finally, the derivative of [itex]sin(\pi(0.01x- 2.00t))[/itex] is, of course, just 10 times that: [itex]-20.00\pi cos(\pi(0.01x-2.00t)[/itex].

5. Sep 8, 2004 #4
    Thanks

Thank you both for responding.
    I see what Halls has done, and yes, I think that is simpler. It just didn't occur to me to put pi into the () one time, instead of multiplying to each term.
    Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?