1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weird differential equation

1. Feb 22, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Solve the following differential equation, with the initial-value y(2)=2.

[tex] y' = \sqrt{ \frac{1-y^{2} } { 1-x^{2} } } [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

This is a strange ODE. It is continuous when either both |x|<1 and |y|<1 or when both |x|>1 and |y|>1. (Both of the regions guarantee the existence and continuity of the derivative)

[tex] \frac{y'}{ \sqrt{ 1-y^{2} } } = \frac{1 } { \sqrt{1-x^{2} } } [/tex]

However, when you separate the variables (to solve it), the radical splits, causing the derivative to be defined only when both |x|<1 and |y|<1. The other region i.e. |x|>1 and |y|>1 is lost as a region in which a solution exists. This is strange.

By the existence theorem, that the function y'(x,y) is continuous when both |x|>1 and |y|>1 should guarantee the existence of a solution, yet separation of variables forces the loss of a solution in that region.

What then, is the (explicit) solution for that region, or how might I go about finding it?

I did end up finding the explicit solution to the IVP to be [itex] y = x [/itex] but to do so I required the computation [itex] arcsin(2)-arcsin(2) = 0 [/itex]. This makes no sense.

BiP

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

sqrt(a*b)=sqrt(a)*sqrt(b) is true only for a,b>0, otherwise your operation is invalid in the real numbers. For |x|, |y|>1, you cannot split them like that - unless you use complex numbers.

4. Feb 22, 2013 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For |x|,|y|>1 you need
    [tex] \frac{y'}{\sqrt{y^2-1}} = \frac{1}{ \sqrt{x^2-1}}.[/tex]

For the first case you need integrals of the form ##\int dt/\sqrt{1-t^2},## while for the second case you need ##\int dt/\sqrt{t^2-1}.##

5. Feb 22, 2013 #4
    OK thanks, so then how would the explicit solution be obtained when |x|,|y|>1 ???

BiP

6. Feb 22, 2013 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Oh, of course, see Ray Vickson's post how to split the sqrt in this case.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook