Center of Mass and Motion of Objects: A Mechanics Exam Review Question

In summary, the problem involves an 89kg boat and a 27kg child on it, with the child initially standing at the end closest to the pier. The child then walks to the far end of the boat to observe a turtle, and the question asks for the distance between the child and the pier when she reaches the far end. The solution involves conservation of momentum and the fact that the center of mass of an isolated system remains stationary.
jstep

Homework Statement

I'm doing a review for a Mechanics exam I have tomorrow and this first problem given on the review struck me as odd.

2uo5ptw.png

Problem Statement:
An 89kg boat that is 6.6m in length is initially 7.1 m from the pier. A 27 kg child stands at the end of the boat closest to the pier. The child then notices a turtle on a rock at the far end of the boat and proceeds to walk to the far end of the boat to observe the turtle.

How far is the child from the pier when she reaches the far end of the boat? Assume there is no friction between boat and water.
Answer in units of m.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tempted to just say 13.7m; but I'm guessing that somehow the child walking across the boat will cause it to slide across the water in the opposite direction. Is this somehow a momentum problem? But I have no way of knowing how quickly the child moves...

The other chain of thought i followed would cause the child's position to stay the same, while the boat moved. But I'm not sure how the different masses would play into this situation and surely it can't be that simple...

What am I missing here?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Conservation of momentum always applies, even without knowing the actual velocities involved. It leads to another useful property of isolated systems: Newton's first law applies to the center of mass of the system.

So, given that the boat and child are initially stationary, their center of mass is likewise stationary.

so the child's position would remain constant as the position of the boat changes?

No, the isolated system in this case comprises both the child and the boat.

so then the boat will remain stationary as the child walks across it?

vi, child = 0
vi, boat = 0

mboatvi, boat + mchildvi, child = 0

vf, child > 0
vf, boat = ?

mboatvi, boat + mchildvi, child = mboatvf, boat + mchildvf, child

0 = 89vf, boat + 29vf, child

if vf, child > 0

vf, boat must be 0.

is this correct?

jstep said:
so then the boat will remain stationary as the child walks across it?

No. The boat and child must both move in such a way as to hold the center of mass stationary.

You won't have to consider the velocities at all, merely the location of the center of mass.

1. What is a "Weird Exam Review Question"?

A "Weird Exam Review Question" is typically a question that is out of the ordinary or unexpected. It may challenge students to think critically or creatively, or may cover a topic that was not emphasized in class.

2. How can "Weird Exam Review Questions" benefit students?

"Weird Exam Review Questions" can benefit students by helping them to think outside the box and apply their knowledge in new and unique ways. They can also help students to identify any gaps in their understanding and improve their critical thinking skills.

3. Are "Weird Exam Review Questions" fair to students?

Yes, "Weird Exam Review Questions" can be fair to students as long as they are related to the course material and do not unfairly disadvantage certain students. It is important for teachers to provide clear expectations and guidance for these types of questions.

4. How can teachers come up with good "Weird Exam Review Questions"?

Teachers can come up with good "Weird Exam Review Questions" by thinking creatively and critically about the course material. They can also draw inspiration from real-world examples, current events, or other sources outside of the textbook.

5. Are "Weird Exam Review Questions" commonly used in exams?

"Weird Exam Review Questions" may be used in exams, but they are not as common as more traditional exam questions. They are often used as a way to challenge students and test their understanding in a unique way.