1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weird Exponential Integral

1. Nov 2, 2006 #1
    Ok, this isn't a particularly hard integral, but for some reason I don't understand why the answer is what it is. Here's the integral (BTW, it's part of a double integral):

[tex]\int e^{x/y} dx[/tex]

The answer is: [tex]ye^{x/y} dy[/tex] but I don't understand why.

Wouldn't it be in the form e^u, with u being x/y, and du being 1/y dy? If so, then the answer should be [tex]e^{x/y}/y dy[/tex], right? That's wrong I guess, because the rest of the integral is pretty much impossible to do if that's the answer. So basically, my question is, why is the answer the answer? :redface: Thanks!
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're integrating wrt x, so just consider y constant.
    The derivative of yexp(x/y) wrt x is exp(x/y) by the chain rule, so that's the correct answer.

If you use substitution u=x/y, then you should replace dx with ydu (not use dy, since you're integrating wrt x).
  4. Nov 2, 2006 #3
    Ah! That makes sense, especially since there's already a dy in the problem. No use having two of them. Thanks for the help!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?