Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weird failure of Cramers Rule

1. Aug 10, 2012 #1
    This is very weird, but I found an inconsistency in the application of Cramer's Rule for a 3x3 simple linear matrix.

1x + 1y + 0z = 3
    -1x + 3y + 4z = -3
    0x + 4y + 3z = 2

Dz =
    1 1 3
    -1 3 -3
    0 4 2

If you take the determinant across the first row To find Dz, I constantly get -16

If you take the determinant across any other rows or columns, you get the correct Dz = 8

What is going on?????????

Help please.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2012 #2
    Not really going to be able to help without seeing a step by step calculation. I get 8 no matter which minor I choose to expand by.

4. Aug 10, 2012 #3
    Omg! Sorry... I calculated incorrectly by forgetting a negative.

My mistake was

1(6-12)

It should have been
    1(6-(-12))

Thanks

5. Aug 10, 2012 #4

What do you mean by "to take the determinant across a row? Do you mean to calculate it wrt the
    minors determined by that row? Let's see:
    [tex]\left|\begin{array}{rrr}1&1&3\\-1&3&-3\\0&4&2\end{array}\right|= 1\cdot\left|\begin{array}{rr}\,3&-3\\\,4&2\end{array}\right|+(-1)\cdot\left|\begin{array}{rr}-1&-3\\0&2\end{array}\right|+3\cdot\left|\begin{array}{rr}-1&3\\0&4\end{array}\right|=(6+12)-(-2)+3(-4)=18+2-12=8[/tex]

If you meant the above then the result is 8, which is hardly surprising as this is the matrix's determinant ; if you

meant something else then I can't say.

DonAntonio

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook