Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weird gravity anomalies

1. Jan 21, 2004 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, here's a popular claim.

http://forteantimes.com/articles/178_backwards.shtml

There is a similar gravity anomaly right in the middle of Knotts Berry Farm - an amusement park in Buena Park, California.
    IMAGINE THAT!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2004 #2

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Why am I not surprised?

4. Jan 22, 2004 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited: Jan 22, 2004
  5. Jan 22, 2004 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Note that this is an optical solution to a gravity anomaly.

6. Jan 22, 2004 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Mystery Spot (just down the road from me in Santa Cruz) is nothing but planned optical illusions. Even the tour guides there, when pressed, will admit it. I presume the other locales mentioned are similarly uninteresting. The article is tripe.

- Warren

7. Jan 22, 2004 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Planned? That's disappointing. I think this sort of illusion is pretty cool when it happens on its own. I don't know what is so unique about these places though - I drive stick and when I let off the brake, I'm often surprised at which way the car rolls.

8. Jan 22, 2004 #7
    i have in my cheesy little paws right now the "Official Guide to Gravity Hill"--have planned to visit over a year now.....

curiously, simply driving through the mountains usually gives an illusion that's odd-doesn't 'look' like you're going up ,but the car will be struggling along-yet looking behind, it's quite obvious and surprising that you're going up at a angle....

at this place one can pour water on the road and watch it go uphill or see basketball roll uphill.......the guide can be ordered and i'd suggest it--they seem to be a fun 'neighborhood'....

===
    Located in the suburbs of New Paris, PA (South Central Pennsylvania)... Gravity Hill is a phenomenon. Cars roll uphill and water flows the wrong way. It's a place where gravity has gone haywire. There is no fee to venture onto Gravity Hill. It is, quite simply, a road in a remote corner of Bedford County.

http://www.gravityhill.com/index.htm

If you want more info about Gravity Hill, and
    are cool, calm and collected, we'll send you
    "THE OFFICIAL (as it gets) GUIDE"
    to Gravity Hill, and our Bedford
    County Visitors Guide. Call
    (800)765-3331

Or, email us at dtice@bedford.net
    =====
    the 'guide' has a little more info than the website (Bedford C0. tourist info)-same humorous approach......

9. Jan 22, 2004 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Russ, it rolls down hill. Jeez!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?