Understanding the Heat Equation and its Fundamental Solution

Because it seems kind of insulting.No, "dummy variable" is the technical term used in mathematics and statistics. It refers to a variable that is used as a placeholder in an equation or expression, and does not have any specific meaning or value. It is also sometimes called a "dummy index" or "dummy argument."
FrogPad
We are now studying the one space dimension heat equation [itex] u_t = u_{xx} [/tex]

The fundamental solution is given as:
[tex] u(t,x)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{1}{2\sqrt{\pi t}}e^{-(x-y)^2/4t}u_0(y)dy [/tex]

I don't understand where the [itex] y [/itex] comes from.

The example in this section is:
If [itex] u_0(x)=1 [/itex], the temperature stays at [itex] u =1 [/itex] for all [itex] t [/itex].

I wish I could see the solution, instead of just the answer. But that's the style of the book. I just don't see how to go from the fundamental solution, to the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not familiar with the heat equation but in this integral, y is just a dummy variable. You integrate with respect to y (although you can give it any other name, just not t or x to avoid confusion), but the y will vanish in the answer of course.

The y is a dummy variable; it is integrated out. If you want insight into the solution, try some other easily integrable cases. For example, what if u_0 is a delta function? Or try plotting the integrand for a sequence of different y's, then imagine them all added together.

Weird so it's kind of like a loop for the expression contained in the integral?

I'll have to play around with this. It's new to me. (or at least I can't remember doing this before).

If you did integrals in calculus, you used dummy variables:
[tex]\int_0^1 y dy= \frac{1}{2}y^2 \|_0^1= \frac{1}{2}[/itex]
Do you see that there is no "y" in the result? Do you see that it doesn't matter what variable we use?

If the solution to you differential equation had been given as
[tex] u(t,x)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{1}{2\sqrt{\pi t}}e^{-(x-p)^2/4t}u_0(p)dp [/tex]
or
[tex] u(t,x)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{1}{2\sqrt{\pi t}}e^{-(x-z)^2/4t}u_0(z)dz [/tex]
it would still be exactly the same.

Yeah, I see how the 'y' disappears. And understand that it could be anything disappearing. I guess it's just how you "see" the problem sometimes. In the heat equation, the 'y' just seemed to come out of nowhere. I thought the problem only dealt with one spatial dimension, and then one dimension with time to track the temperatures at various locations. Then 'y' was introduced... and I didn't understand why that was even there.

I still have a question though regarding the example given in the book.
So we have:
[tex] u(t,x)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{1}{2\sqrt{\pi t}}e^{-(x-y)^2/4t}u_0(y)dy [/tex]

With BC [itex] u_0(x)=1 [/tex] for all [itex] x [/itex].

So, when evaluting the integral, [itex] u_0(y) [/itex] from [itex] -\infty [/itex] to [itex] \infty [/itex] will evaluate to 1.

Thus the fundental solution drops drops down to:
[tex] \frac{1}{2\sqrt{\pi t}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-(x-y)^2/4t}dy [/tex]

and this is supposed to evalutate to 1 for all t?

I'm not sure if I'm doing this right. Am I?

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
Correct.
Change your dummy variable y to u by
[tex]u=\frac{y-x}{2\sqrt{t}}[/tex]
We then have:
[tex]\frac{dy}{du}=2\sqrt{t}[/tex]
whereby your integral becomes:
[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{\pi}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-u^{2}}du[/tex]

Cool, thankyou!
Also, I was going to ask. The term "dummy variable"... that's not the "technical" name is it?

1. What is the heat equation?

The heat equation is a partial differential equation that describes how heat flows and changes over time in a given region or domain. It takes into account factors such as the temperature distribution, heat sources and sinks, and thermal conductivity.

2. What is the fundamental solution of the heat equation?

The fundamental solution of the heat equation is a function that represents the distribution of heat over time in response to a point source of heat. It is also known as the Green's function and is useful in solving more complex heat transfer problems.

3. How is the heat equation solved?

The heat equation can be solved using various methods such as separation of variables, Fourier series, or Laplace transform. These methods involve breaking down the equation into simpler forms and finding a solution that satisfies the boundary and initial conditions.

4. What are the applications of the heat equation?

The heat equation has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used to understand heat transfer in objects, such as the cooling of a hot cup of coffee, and in larger systems, such as climate models. It is also used in solving problems related to diffusion and wave propagation.

5. What are the limitations of the heat equation?

The heat equation assumes certain simplifications such as a constant thermal conductivity and no heat sources or sinks. It also does not take into account thermal radiation, which may be significant in some systems. Therefore, it may not accurately model all heat transfer scenarios and has to be used with caution in certain cases.