1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weird Integral

1. Sep 18, 2006 #1

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's formula #686 of Zwillinger's book "CRC Standard Mathematical Tables and Formulae" 31-st edition, 5-th chapter.

He claims that

[tex] \int_{0}^{1} \frac{dx}{\sqrt{\ln\left(\ln\frac{1}{x}\right)}} =\sqrt{\pi} [/tex].

Is it correct...?:confused: And if so, how does one find/prove something like that...?

Daniel.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2006 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

That doesn't look right. As x goes from 0 to 1, ln(1/x) goes from infinity to 0, and ln(ln(1/x)) goes from infinity to -infinity, all monotonically. ln(ln(1/x))=0 at x=1/e and so the integral from 0 to 1/e is real and nonzero, while the integral from 1/e to 1 is imaginary and nonzero, so the answer should be complex.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2006
  4. Sep 18, 2006 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I could do that myself as well. It looked rather odd that i couldn't find the integral in the bibliographical resources...

Daniel.

5. Sep 18, 2006 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It seems that there are too many ln's, i.e.,

[tex]
    \int_{0}^{1} \frac{dx}{\sqrt{\ln\frac{1}{x}}} = \Gamma \left( \frac{1}{2} \right) =\sqrt{\pi}
    [/tex]

6. Sep 18, 2006 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Wow, that can be it. It sounds very reasonable.

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?