Why doesn't Taylor expansion work for integrating to infinity?

In summary, the MacLaurin series expansion of \frac{\sin x}{x} does not converge for all values of x, and the radius of convergence is unknown.
pivoxa15
Consider integrating sin(t)/t from 0 to infinity via the Taylor expansion method. If you do that then you will get infinite terms in the series which clearly is wrong as that integral equals pi/2. Can anyone tell me why using the Taylor expansion method dosen't work? It always dosen't work when integrating to infinity. But other methods like complex integral does work. Why?

Taylor expansion use to be a sure thing for me every time but now my innocence has been broken.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's probably a uniform convergence thing - or you're using an invalid Taylor expansion - or possibly both. In general you can't interchange limits and integrals.

What does
"It always dosen't work when integrating to infinity"
mean?

Just renormalize...

If you're brave, you'll just work out how to sum divergent series. I believe some little known physicist once did that for a special and got some award out of it or something. :tongue:

matt grime said:
It's probably a uniform convergence thing - or you're using an invalid Taylor expansion - or possibly both. In general you can't interchange limits and integrals.

What does
"It always dosen't work when integrating to infinity"
mean?

Taylor expansion expands a function in terms of polynomials. Integrate any polynomial from 0 to infinity and you get infinity hence "It always dosen't work when integrating to infinity". So a series with infinity in every term is not pleasant to say the least. In the case of sint/t, the terms are oscillating between negative and positive so the integration of the taylor polynomial on face value is 0 as you might like to subtract infinities after grouping the terms together, two by two. However infinities shouldn't be subtracted to the integral is not 0 but pi/2 when evaluated using another method.

You don't evaluate integrals over the range 0 to infinity just by putting in infinity and 0.

To the OP: What's the radius of convergence for the MacLaurin series expansion of [itex]\frac{\sin x}{x} [/itex] ?

Daniel.

genneth said:
If you're brave, you'll just work out how to sum divergent series. I believe some little known physicist once did that for a special and got some award out of it or something. :tongue:

what are you talking about? dimensional regularization?

dextercioby said:
To the OP: What's the radius of convergence for the MacLaurin series expansion of [itex]\frac{\sin x}{x} [/itex] ?

Daniel.

infinity. Or for all values of x. That is after we remove the singularity at x=0.

matt grime said:
You don't evaluate integrals over the range 0 to infinity just by putting in infinity and 0.

Its got to do with putting the limit as x->infinity. You are suggesting the limit doesn't exist?

ice109 said:
what are you talking about? dimensional regularization?

I was thinking of Feynman and QED renormalisation...

I think

[tex]
\lim_{R\to\infty} \lim_{N\to\infty}\int\limits_{-R}^{R} \Big(\sum_{k=0}^{N} a_k x^k\Big) dx
[/tex]

should be giving correct answer. But it is probably not possible to calculate it reasonably.

Indeed -- after taking the N->inf limit the function is what Mathematica called SinIntegral, i.e. the integral of sinc. It's a special function, so no expression in terms of "normal" functions. It's pretty much for this purpose of calculating these random integrals that complex contour integration was pursued.

there is another way to do this integral (that does not involve contour integration). define

[tex]
f(x, \alpha) = \frac{\sin (x)}{x} e^{-\alpha x}
[/tex]

where you recover your function when [tex]\alpha = 0[/tex]. then differentiate past the integral sign with respect to [tex]\alpha[/tex]. i'll leave the rest to you.

quetzalcoatl9 said:
there is another way to do this integral (that does not involve contour integration). define

[tex]
f(x, \alpha) = \frac{\sin (x)}{x} e^{-\alpha x}
[/tex]

where you recover your function when [tex]\alpha = 0[/tex]. then differentiate past the integral sign with respect to [tex]\alpha[/tex]. i'll leave the rest to you.

Good idea, but it still doesn't give the right value for the integral.

[tex] \frac{d}{d\alpha }\int_{0}^{\infty }\frac{\sin x}{x}e^{-\alpha x}dx=\int_{0}^{\infty }\left( -\left( \sin x\right) e^{-\alpha x}\right) \,dx= \frac{1}{\alpha ^{2}+1}\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty }\left( e^{-\alpha x}\cos x+\alpha e^{-\alpha x}\sin x-1\right) =-\frac{1}{\alpha ^{2}+1} [/tex]

[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty }\frac{\sin x}{x}e^{-\alpha x}dx=-\int \frac{d\alpha }{\alpha ^{2}+1}=\allowbreak -\arctan \alpha +C [/tex]

It does. The constant turns out to be pi/2, but the way I do that is not very rigorous...

Ok Here it goes: Ignoring x between -1 and 1 :( maybe someone can fill that in later for me, but anyway: The original integral is less than the negative of its derivative, since its all values in the integrand are being divided by x.

So basically it becomes [tex] \frac{1}{\alpha^2 +1} > -\arctan \alpha + C[/tex]

Take the limit as alpha approaches infinity, the LHS approaches infinity, hence
[tex] \lim_{\alpha \to \infty} -\arctan \alpha + C = 0[/tex].

Knowing that as x approaches pi/2 on the left, it goes to infinity, the limit of x as x goes to infinity for arctan x is pi/2.

Ie C = pi/2.

I know there are many holes in the argument, but it works.

that is correct. good job.

to be clear:

[tex]f(x, \alpha) = -\tan^{-1} (\alpha) + C[/tex]
[tex]\lim_{\alpha \rightarrow \infty} f(x, \alpha) = \lim_{\alpha \rightarrow \infty}[/tex] [tex]\int_0^{\infty} \frac{\sin(x)}{x} e^{-\alpha x} dx = 0[/tex]

but also

[tex]\lim_{\alpha \rightarrow \infty} f(x, \alpha) = -\tan^{-1} (\alpha) + C = -\frac{\pi}{2} + C[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow C = \frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow f(x, \alpha) = \frac{\pi}{2} - \tan^{-1} (\alpha)[/tex]

and

[tex]f(x, 0) = \frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]

I see it now, nice job, quetzalcoatl9 !

Why doesn't Taylor expansion work for integrating to infinity?

The Taylor expansion is a mathematical tool used to approximate a function at a specific point. It involves using the function's derivatives to create a polynomial that can be used to estimate the function's values. However, this method is not suitable for integrating to infinity for several reasons.

What is the main limitation of using Taylor expansion for infinite integration?

The main limitation is that the Taylor expansion is only accurate for a finite interval around the point of expansion. As we integrate to infinity, the interval becomes infinitely large, and the approximation becomes less accurate.

Why does the accuracy of Taylor expansion decrease as we integrate to infinity?

As we integrate to infinity, the derivatives of the function also increase in magnitude, making the polynomial approximation less accurate. Also, the Taylor expansion does not account for any oscillating behavior of the function, leading to further inaccuracies.

Can we use Taylor expansion for integrating to negative infinity?

No, the Taylor expansion is not suitable for integrating to negative infinity either. Similar to integrating to positive infinity, the approximation becomes less accurate as we move further away from the point of expansion.

Is there a better method for integrating to infinity than using Taylor expansion?

Yes, there are several other methods, such as Laplace transform and Fourier transform, that are better suited for integrating to infinity. These methods take into account the oscillating behavior of the function and can provide more accurate results.