Evaluating Double Integral Involving Imaginary Error Function

In summary, there are several mistakes in the attempt at a solution to the homework equation. The first integrand is different from the one in the beginning of the post, and the limits of integration do not agree with the order of integration.
lockedup

Homework Statement

Evaluate
[tex]\int\int x^{2}e^{x^{2}y} dx dy[/tex]
over the area bounded by [tex]y=x^{-1}, y=x^{-2}, x=ln 4[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\int^{1}_{(ln 4)^{-2}}\int^{y^{-1}}_{y^{\frac{-1}{2}}}x^{2}e^{x^{2}y}dx dy[/tex]

I got this far before I realized that this wasn't a straightforward integral. There is nothing like it in the tables. I put [tex]\int x^{2}e^{x^{2}y} dx[/tex] into Mathematica's online integrator and I got something involving the imaginary error function... Help please?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
lockedup said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate
[tex]\int\int xe^{x^{2}y} dx dy[/tex]
over the area bounded by [tex]y=x^{-1}, y=x^{-2}, x=ln 4[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\int^{1}_{(ln 4)^{-2}}\int^{y^{-1}}_{y^{\frac{-1}{2}}}x^{2}e^{x^{2}y}dx dy[/tex]
There are several mistakes here.
1. Your integrand here is different from the one you wrote at the beginning of the post. You switched from xex2y to x2ex2y. The first one will probably be easier to integrate.
2. Your limits of integration don't agree with the order of integration. The limits of integration on the inner integral need to be x values, because you are going to integrate with respect to x first, then y later.

The integral should look something like this.
[tex]\int_{y = ?}^1\int_{x = ?}^? xe^{x^{2}y}dx dy[/tex]

If you haven't done so already, draw a careful sketch of the region over which integration takes place. You need to find where the two curves intersect, since that point defines one of your limits of integration. From your sketch you should be able to fill in the ? placeholders I have in my revision of your integral.

lockedup said:
I got this far before I realized that this wasn't a straightforward integral. There is nothing like it in the tables. I put [tex]\int xe^{x^{2}y} dx[/tex] into Mathematica's online integrator and I got something involving the imaginary error function... Help please?

Adding to Mark44's comments, you haven't told us whether x = ln(4) is the right or left boundary nor what the other x boundary is, although I don't agree with Mark that you inner x limits are wrong. And the two curves don't intersect.

It is supposed to be x^2. Sorry about that.

The limits of the second integrand are x=1/y and x = y^-1/2. I just didn't put the "x =" part in there.

I did draw a sketch. x = 1/y is on top. They intersect at 1,1. So the values of the first integrand should be 1 on top and y = (ln 4)^-2 on bottom.

Right?

y = 1/x and y = 1/x^2 intersect at (1, 1).

I take back what I said about the x limits of integration. I mistook them for y values.

The upshot of this is that the limits of integration look fine.

Mark44 said:
y = 1/x and y = 1/x^2 intersect at (1, 1).

I take back what I said about the x limits of integration. I mistook them for y values.

Heh heh. And I take back that the curves don't intersect. :redface:

To the OP. I don't think you want to integrate in the x direction first, or at least, if you do, you must break the problem into two parts as the right boundary is not just y = 1/x2. The upper boundary is also part of the right boundary. But I have to run...the wife calls for dinner :smile:

1. What is a double integral involving imaginary error function?

A double integral involving imaginary error function is a mathematical function that is used to evaluate the probability of a complex random variable falling within a certain range. It is commonly used in statistics and probability theory.

2. How is a double integral involving imaginary error function calculated?

The double integral involving imaginary error function is calculated by first integrating the function with respect to the real part of the complex variable, then integrating with respect to the imaginary part. This results in a complex number as the output.

3. What is the significance of evaluating double integrals involving imaginary error function?

Evaluating double integrals involving imaginary error function is important in many areas of mathematics and statistics, such as in calculating probabilities of complex events and in solving differential equations.

4. What is the relationship between double integrals involving imaginary error function and the Gaussian function?

The Gaussian function and the imaginary error function are closely related, with the Gaussian function being the real part and the imaginary error function being the imaginary part. This relationship is used in the evaluation of double integrals involving imaginary error function.

5. Are there any practical applications of double integrals involving imaginary error function?

Yes, there are many practical applications of double integrals involving imaginary error function. Some examples include in signal processing, finance, and physics. It is also commonly used in statistical and mathematical modeling to analyze complex data and systems.